Failing to import edited Kerning Classes

Through a series of now unfortunate duplication and renaming of alts, I have /A /A.cv01 /A.ss02 (those are the right names, with the right glyphs). I also have various accented versions of those.

But the kerning classes are wrong. I want to remove /A+accent and /A+accent.ss02 from the kerning class for /A.cv01.

So I exported the metrics, and edited the class. But when i import kerning classes using File > Import > Metrics… the classes don’t change in Glyphs.

Right now, i’m only trying to edit one class, but later it will be more, so it will be nice to see if i can get this workflow working.

Relevant line in the exported metrics file:

@MMK_L_A.cv01;Aacute Abreve Acaron Acircumflex Adieresis Adotaccent Agrave Amacron Aring Atilde A.cv01 Aacute.cv01 Abreve.cv01 Acaron.cv01 Acircumflex.cv01 Adieresis.cv01 Adotaccent.cv01 Agrave.cv01 Amacron.cv01 Aring.cv01 Atilde.cv01 Aacute.ss02 Abreve.ss02 Acaron.ss02 Acircumflex.ss02 Adieresis.ss02 Adotaccent.ss02 Agrave.ss02 Amacron.ss02 Aring.ss02 Atilde.ss02

I edit this to:

@MMK_L_A.cv01;A.cv01 Aacute.cv01 Abreve.cv01 Acaron.cv01 Acircumflex.cv01 Adieresis.cv01 Adotaccent.cv01 Agrave.cv01 Amacron.cv01 Aring.cv01 Atilde.cv01

There aren’t any errors when i try the import, but i see that /Aring (to pick an example) still has A.cv01 as its kerning class.

Are we supposed to be able to remove kerning classes like this?

On import, all glyphs that should be affected need to be selected.
If that doesn’t help, can you send me the files?

1 Like

Aha! I think in my case i can Select All, since i’m importing the entire metrics file slightly edited. I’ll give it a go (hmm, i may have already done it by hand).

Seems that adding to a kerning class (or adding a kerning class to a glyph) works fine, but removing items from a kerning class does not.

I’ll send files.

Then you have to remove the classes before you import. You can do that in the info box in the lower left of the Font View. Type a anything in the kerning class field and then remove it.

1 Like