Feature request: preserve edit view layers setup after save and reopen

Feels like I spend so much time typing and carefully selecting different layers to be able to compare between masters…to only have it all revert to the selected master after saving and reopening the file.

Are there plans of incorporating a preserve layer setup for all the edit view tabs as part of saving a glyphs file?

Also, in the current version, is there any special way of exporting a particular setup of whatever is in edit view…being able to save it separately to open up again at a later time?

Saving and restoring the individually selected layers is planned.

1 Like

If there aren’t plans for it, I’d like put out the idea of templates for saving the layout of a tab with it all the individual layer info.

I imagine this type of template would be useful generally but also be font specific.

For example, if a person had this layout in a tab in a duplexed or monospaced font – they could save it as a template and import it when needed:

ABC (Bold)
ABC (Bold Italic)

ABC (Regular)
ABC (Italic)

ABC (Bold)
ABC (Regular)

ABC (Bold Italic)
ABC (Italic)

How would these templates work? Similar to Sample Texts?

Not entirely sure. Thinking out loud.
Maybe similar to Samples Texts.

Maybe there is an Export Tab Layout that saves whatever is happening in the current tab to some sort of format as an actual file (JSON? if that is what it can be used for…in any case, something that can save glyphs, order, linebreaks, layer info) then if a person opens the glyphs file they can import the layout template file and it would recreate it in the tab.

Maybe it would be a better idea to make a script populating the tab with certain layers? I have one that simply shows all layers, but if you give an idea of how you choose layers, it shouldn’t be hard to make a more specific tool.