Few ideas on usuability

Hello,

Please, consider:

1. In Palettes>Layers double-click a layer could make it default(master). Rename function could be available through a context menu or something …

2. When glyph’s export checkbox is unchecked it could be easier to click slashed red circle to make it exportable.

3. In glyph window could be a view option to edit paths with filled outlines.

4. Preview panel could be scrollable.

I think these would improve a workflow, which is quite great by the way :slight_smile:

In Palettes>Layers double-click a layer could make it default(master).

This would just lead to a lot of accidental layer changes. And there is already a button for selecting a layer and swapping it with the master layer.

DTF
This is not a button but a dropdown and requires 2 clicks. And this is strange because there is only one option to select. It could be replaced by a single button or dbl-click - which would be the fastest way.

I think you shouldn’t concern about accidental layer changes. Do you accidentally enter a rename mode? I didn’t even know it exists. No. I did know, but I never dbl-click lists.

I’d thought of suggesting both of these! +1
1 Like
  1. The dropdown in the layer panel is there to host some more options in the future.

2. This is a good idea. But what happens if you try to disable the export? Would you click in the empty corner?

3. I will try this.

4. This is a bit complicated. What happens if you have scrolled and then you change the text in the edit view? What I will do is to always center the glyph that is active in the edit view. I think that should do it.

Georg Seifert
2. No, not empty. In the corner there could be visible semi transparent red circle on roll over. Or instead of red circle - checkbox.

ahh and one more… There could be live preview of kerning changes in the preview window. Now, it is updated when I click another letter in edit window…

In the corner there could be visible semi transparent red circle on roll over. Or instead of red circle - checkbox.

The mouse over effect does not work well with the grid view for now. I will keep that in mind.

There could be live preview of kerning changes in the preview window. Now, it is updated when I click another letter in edit window…

This works for me.

This works with a single instance. It doesn't work with masters. Please, check it.

can you send me a screenshot?

No need. I restarted Glyphs and it works. There had to be some error. I will try to replicate and let you know.

Love this idea