Filter exceptions

Hi everyone,

I have a roundness filter in my font that gives a certain roundness to all the edges. By using exclude, it’s no problem to make exceptions.

My tildecomb, however, is looking weird when rounded and is not affected by these exceptions, at least not in combined letters like ñ.

I want Glyphs to give the n rounded edges, but it should spare the tilde on top. Is there any way to do this?

Thanks so much in advance for any help :blush:

Do you use components?
You might use a PreFilter. That should run before the decomposition.

Thank you so much, Georg!

Now I have figured out another issue regarding the roundness filter. For example, here’s a detail of my “a” before the export:

After the export, the roundness filter has created rounded edges, but also some kinks:

I’m completely new to Grid Spacing and Subdivision. When applied, the handles are in a perfect position, but the actual outline is kinked as before (I have noticed that both the Grid Spacing and Subdivision values are 1 in the exported OTF):

Finally, doubling the UPM to 2,000 gives me a satisfying result. But there are some problems reported in the web when using this technique. Plus, changing the UPM messes up some of my components’ positions and other values.

And I expect to see kinks even in manually rounded files when interpolation meets unstraight handles.

I’m looking for a way to export smoothly rounded OTFs that work perfectly fine in QXP and the like. Does anyone know how to achive this?

Thank you!

can you send me that .glyphs file and a screenshot of the dialog that I can reproduce the settings?

Use a higher UPM or TTF if you need to support QXP.

Which problems did you read about for webfonts?

Hello Rainer,

this

https://blog.typekit.com/2015/10/01/smoother-curves-with-decimal-coordinate-values/

as well as your Glyphs Handbook both are advising against UPM increasement… I guess it’s a good idea to offer OTF and TTF files when using a higher UPM :blush:

Decimal coordinates can cause problems with PDF creation in QXP, and with some old printer drivers (I can confirm at least the BRScript drivers). If you can safely ignore those, use decimal coordinates in your OTF. For these two exceptions, I recommend using a higher-UPM TTF. That is the strategy I used for Lawabo. And if you want to be on the safe side, only deliver the TTFs.

Why?

Thank you! Because I’m planning to release it as a retail font on MyFonts, thus it needs to work in every environment. What do you think of a OTF version with OT features and high UPM and, as a fallback version for customers, an additional TTF?

There are no apps that can handle OTF but not TTF. So if you have only TTF you are fine. It can contain the same features, just outlines in a different format.

Thanks, Georg, I will give that a try!