Font Info > Feature > generate feature automatically (2) Arabic ligatures

In the fontfile you sent me?
It does work if you select Arabic as language in InD CS6.
How are you testing it?

I am digging in the GlyphData.xml for Arabic letters. It seems that arabic ligatures don’t have the amount of anchors according with the number of the letters that make the arabic ligature. e.g. U+FD51 is compound of three letters (U+062A, U+062D and U+062C) but in the GlyphData.xml there are only two pairs of bottom and top anchors instead of three.

fixed the anchors. Thanks

Thanks very much @GeorgSeifert

I’m reviving @Nicolas post here, while looking into the pre-set glyphs (Ligatures & Marks) I’d like to know where do the following anchors refer to:
top_1 / top_2 / bottom_1 / bottom_2

A ligature such as: FEFC (lam_alef-ar.fina) which has the above mentioned anchors; Does not fit with the combined glyph:FEF8 (lam_alefHamzaabove-ar.fina)

Because the component of: hamzaabove-ar has different anchor names: top & _top

This, by the way, goes with plenty of predefined Arbic M2MK & Ligature sets;
and I’m wondering wether any of @mekkablue Anchors Script fixes that !!

A _top anchor in a mark can connect to top In the base glyph, or any top with an underscore suffix. In ligatures, these are top_1, top_2 etc.

** I’ve concluded the mistaken definition in Glyphsapp predefined sets;**
It seems somebody has advised that a ligature like (lam_alef-ar) should always be compound out of:
Lam & Alf (or: alef-ar.short in other cases)

Thus it fits where each component would acquire its original anchors (as shown in the following decomposed sample)!!

This cannot be a fixed rule Because in many cases “lam-Alef” ligature has a unique shape "i.e. Naskhi styles)

Therefore; here’s the original question:
1. Shouldn’t be a preliminary compatible naming of anchors between Marks & Ligatures such as: lam_alefHamzaabove-ar.fina

Namely:
Set Anchors command  U after creating a “hamzaabove-ar 0655” is expected to add corresponding anchors to {_top_1} {_top_2} {bottom_1} & {bottom_2} or on the other hand;
Set Anchors command  U to FEFC (lam_alef-ar.fina) is expected to add un-numbered anchors {_top} & {_bottom}

2. Otherwise can you name pre-defined glyphs that use those named 1 & 2 anchors ??

If a user wants to put a mark on one specific letter inside a ligature (without breaking the ligature), you need to be able to differentiate between the anchors of the various letter parts. You do that with numbered anchors.

What should not be in ligature glyphs are unnumbered anchors. Your first screenshot shows top next to top_1 and top_2. There should be only the numbered anchors.

PS: Underscores trigger italics in the forum software. You can use backticks ` or the preformatted text button to prevent that.

If you like to use the anchors to position the components in glyphs like lam_alefHamzaabove-ar, you only need the numbered anchors in lam_alef-ar and an anchor _top in the hamzaabove-ar. Then select the hamza component and use the anchor button in the info box to select the anchor it should be attached.

I wrote that was a decomposed ligature; thereafter TOP anchor was inherited from the Alef component.

Then you need to remove the anchor after you decompose.

Well I believe there is something to be improved here; also in a previous thread I raised this issue;

Will rearrange my suggestions and post them with explaining illustrations; or If you wish to discuss it off-line, I can email you.

Would be best to discuss in private first and then publicizes the results.