Font is not exporting. No error message

I can’t figure out what is going wrong here. I’m exporting a font to the Adobe Fonts folder, but suddenly the export has stopped working. The only error message is a compatibility error:

However, there is no error message saying the font was not able to be exported, or why.

Update: A peer of mine suggested I add the Disable subroutines parameter and it fixed the issue. The problem seemed to occur when I added the following glyphs:

• U+1F446 :point_up_2: WHITE UP POINTING BACKHAND INDEX
  • U+1F447 :point_down: WHITE DOWN POINTING BACKHAND INDEX
  • U+1F448 :point_left: WHITE LEFT POINTING BACKHAND INDEX
  • U+1F449 :point_right: WHITE RIGHT POINTING BACKHAND INDEX

I’m still not sure what was causing the problem, or what the custom parameter does, but I can export again now.

If you are not using it already, try the latest beta please. Go to Glyphs > Preferences > Updates, activate both checkboxes and press the Update button.

Subroutinisation tries to find repeating pattern to compress the outlines to produce smaller files. That can be very slow with certain outlines. So are you sure the export fails? It might just take quite long.

Ah, the glyphs I added were complex shapes, so perhaps that’s why. I am quite certain the export wasn’t working, as the files never exported and once I had added the Disable subroutines parameter it was fine.

Yes, I’m on the latest beta :slight_smile:

Can you send me the .glyphs file?

I had a similar issue, and it tuned out to be the fact that a system password is now required to write/change to the target folder. I think this was a Mac OS update thing.

What Folder was that?

Saw this today in a workshop: the successful export message appears also when the user has no write permissions for the target folder.

Technically, the export went fine in the Temp folder, just moving the file to the target directory failed.

I fixed it.

1 Like