Font-version info to long in the Finder

Hi

I hope I don’t disturb to much with all my suggestions/questions in this forum, but I am very experimental with fontdesign and I see a lot that is not for the ‘average’ user…

This time I had a question about exported fonts in the finder.
In the column view, in the file information there is a lot of version information: Version 1.000;PS 001.000;hotconv 1.0.70;makeotf.lib2.5.58329

It is so much, the name-information is pushed away.

When viewing already existing fonts, or fonts I got that are made with FontLab, this is not the case.
So my question is: is this a bug or by design?

When opening the .otf file with the app textedit, the file created with FontLab doesn’t even have a note of ‘version’, it only knows O\0T\0F\0E\0X\0P\0O\0R\0T\01\0.\00\00\00

Oh, and also in the Finder,
the preview of my fonts never have any numbers. But when I open it with Font Book, everything is ok.
This is better in the existing files (from FontLab), who do have a preview for figures. My wrong?

MakeOTF places that info there. I recommend to leave it as it is because there was a bug in early versions of MakeOTF, and InDesign recognises old fonts with this version number. This is an Adobe hack that has drawn a lot of criticism, but it helps font display in Adobe apps, and therefore may reduce potential support calls for the type designer. If you still want to get rid of it, you can use FontTools or OTMaster. It is just a QuickLook preview, it is not meant to be a complete overview.

Thanks for the info (again) :slight_smile:
Now I know for what it is, it may stay there.

Yes of course. But when I do a QuickLook of an other .otf file (or a Glyphs file itself) it shows the numbers. Only an .otf generated within Glyphsapp doesn't show those. And for that it is confusing. It could have been there was something wrong...

It sometimes shows, sometimes it doesn’t. I think it has to do with the overall width/height ratios for fitting into the window.