Generating precomposed fractions

I followed the fractions tutorial, and get wrong metrics when generating precomposed fractions. In the second row an example build with the fractions OT feature. What went wrong when generating

?

Where do you see that? In Glyphs or with the exported font (if so, what format)?

In Glyphs 3 latest version

Can you send me that .glyphs file?

Any reason you have automatic alignment disabled in font info?

Yes. It is a pure components based type, the modules wouldn’t fit as wished if aligned automatically. But thanks, I forgot that for the prebuild fractions it is necessary.

The fraction that are auto composed by the frac feature are just great. One issue still bothers me:
Since the position of the fraction glyph is the same for all fractions, it creates un pleasant collisions. In 1/7 the fraction glyph almost touches the 7, while in 3/4 the position is just fine.
Any idea? Disable auto alignment is off. Glyphs 3.0.4
Thanks

You can use kerning between the fraction slash and the numerator and denominator glyphs to fine tune the spacing.

2 Likes

When I update+compile all my features, frac always says:

sub one slash eight by oneeighth;
sub one slash four by onequarter;
sub three slash eight by threeeighths;
sub one slash two by onehalf;
sub five slash eight by fiveeighths;
sub three slash four by threequarters;
sub seven slash eight by seveneighths;

I need to manually click the update arrow on frac in order to get the correct one:

lookup FRAC {
	sub slash by fraction;
} FRAC;
lookup UP {
	sub [zero one two three four five six seven eight nine] by [zero.numr one.numr two.numr three.numr four.numr five.numr six.numr seven.numr eight.numr nine.numr];
} UP;
lookup DOWN {
	sub fraction [zero.numr one.numr two.numr three.numr four.numr five.numr six.numr seven.numr eight.numr nine.numr]' by [zero.dnom one.dnom two.dnom three.dnom four.dnom five.dnom six.dnom seven.dnom eight.dnom nine.dnom];
	sub [zero.dnom one.dnom two.dnom three.dnom four.dnom five.dnom six.dnom seven.dnom eight.dnom nine.dnom] [zero.numr one.numr two.numr three.numr four.numr five.numr six.numr seven.numr eight.numr nine.numr]' by [zero.dnom one.dnom two.dnom three.dnom four.dnom five.dnom six.dnom seven.dnom eight.dnom nine.dnom];
} DOWN;

What can be done about this?
I want the second code to always be the auto-generated one, without having to make extra clicks.

I have seen glitches like this once in a while. Can you send me the font that shows this?

Sent through PM!

The bug appears in all my files, not just that one.

Consider using the script mekkablue > Fraction Fever 2, this writes a much more powerful frac feature and works great :slight_smile:

1 Like