Glyphs 2 compatibility with macOS 12.3

I think so.

It works now and the solution was so simple that I didn’t even think about: remove the previous versions completely with AppCleaner and install the latest one. Now I feel a bit stupid.
I’m sorry for the inconveniences and thanks for your advice and patience.

I installed Python 2.7 like you explained. But the ‘pip2 install pyobjc’ line didn’t work in the terminal.

I took out the plugin folder from the Glyphs folder in the application support folder.
Glyphs opens, but the scripts still don’t work.

I could use some help. :slight_smile:

What output did you get in Terminal when running the line?

-bash: pip2: command not found

Try the following:

pip 19.3.1 from /Users/fonthause/Library/Python/2.7/lib/python/site-packages/pip (python 2.7)

Any tips ?

How did you install python? With the installer from python.org?
What happened when you do

which pip 

If the resulting line contains ‘2.7’, then you can install pyobjc like this

pip install pyobjc 

This gives no result.

A while back I had some conflict between py2 and py3, because I am using fonttools. So we had to shuffle some stuff around

Can I (re)install pip ?

I searched the internet and found a solution.
Typed python -m pip install pyobjc in the terminal.

G2 works again. Although plugin “show interpolations” crashed.

Please remove all plugins and re-install them from the plugin manager.

Just a note to self, but for those who are struggling to get older plugins work on Glyphs 2 + macOS 12.3, try the following stop-gap solution after installing Xcode:

$ CFLAGS="-DOBJC_OLD_DISPATCH_PROTOTYPES=1" pip2 install pyobjc==3.1.1 --force-reinstall

pip2 install pyobjc currently installs PyObjC 5.3, which complains when the @objc.python_method decorators are missing in each plugin. PyObjC 3.1.1 is the last version that works in the same way as the one that had come with the macOS. The pip installation may stop in the middle, but one of my collegues reported that the plugins he wanted did start working again without modification.

2.6.7 (1359)

File "<macro>", line 2, in <module>
  File "_lazyimport.py", line 154, in __getattr__
    raise AttributeError(name)
AttributeError: Swift.__RawSetStorage
Start
Note: 'OTVar Glyph Animator' could not load preferences. Will resort to defaults
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "OTVar Player.py", line 347, in <module>
    OTVarGlyphAnimator()
  File "OTVar Player.py", line 57, in __init__
    self.font = Glyphs.font
NameError: global name 'Glyphs' is not defined
End

Any suggestion?

UPD:
everything works with 1361

Hi,

Is there any news regarding Plugins showing up as “NSMenuItem” in the app dropdown menu? It was mentioned here in #49.

Thanks!

Not sure what you mean by news. What would you like to do? And what exactly is not working for you?

Hi,

I am trying to get my plugins to work in Glyphs 2 on macOS 12.3. In previous versions they would appear in the View dropdown menu. the After the macOS update the plugins are inactive NSMenuItems.
@LSSL reported the same issue here to which @Georg replied that it was a bug which would require an update. My question is whether you have since been able to find the cause of this issue?

Hi, there seem to be two possible solutions:

1. Installing the appropiate Python version for the the Mac OS (not virtual environments) before installing Glyphs 2.x

2. Upgrading to Glyphs 3.

Hope it helps.

Thanks @LSSL for the tips! Regarding option 1.: can I ask on which specific Glyphs 2 version do the plugins appear correctly for you?
If I already have Glyphs 2 installed (multiple versions, actually), do I need to remove them all and re-add to Applications in order to fix? I do have Python 2.7 installed as my default system version, which has PyObjC.