Glyphs 3 / Python 3 / M1

Hi Georg,

Now its working the Remix Tools. But a lot of the plugins are not working still but I will wait on them. Thank you.

We are working on fixing them right now. Can you list a few that are not working right now? Make sure to have the latest versions (remove > install in plugin manager).

I fixed the crash and will also upload a new python module that works on both architectures.

Hallo, I just got an M1 MacBook Air and like @Joana_Correia many of the plugins I use are not working. Is there any updated guidance on using Glyphs 3 on M1 with Python 3?

I try not to use cutting edge versions so I am working on v3.0.2 (3058).

Please update to the latest cutting edge version and install the python module from the plugin manager.

Hi there!

Very similar situation: new MacBook Pro 16 on M1 Pro, empty Addons/Python version select in Glyphs 3.0.4 (3105).

I have installed Glyphs’ very own Python module. Glyphs had been restarted, of course.

These two lines in Macro Panel:

import objc
print(objc)

return a dialog “There’s no compatible version of Python 3 installed”. If I hit “Install” and restart Glyphs then nothing is changed.

In addition, I have manually installed: Python 3.10 (through pyenv), PyObjC, fonttools. Python 3.10 is set up as global:

% python -V
Python 3.10.0
% which python 
/Users/roma/.pyenv/shims/python

(But that’s not the point.)

Despite everything, the Python version select is still empty.

I supposed Glyphs should use the version that was set up as default/global “python”. Am I wrong?

Should I install additional Python through Homebrew?

So you are saying you can select anything in Preferences > Addons > Python Version?

Glyphs needs a framework version of Python. And the stuff in .pyenv is often just the interpreter, not something you can link agains.

You can check by running:

file /Users/roma/.pyenv/shims/python

it will print something like this:

/usr/bin/python (for architecture x86_64): Mach-O 64-bit executable x86_64

but I need something like this:

/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.10/Python (for architecture x86_64): Mach-O 64-bit dynamically linked shared library x86_64

Nothing, and it’s empty:

Can you check the Repositories folder and remove all Glyphs Python stuff. Then re-install it again and wait long enough. Can take a minute or three.

Or install python + PyObjC with homebrew.

Hi there, I’m new to this discussion. I tried everything mentioned above (only with python version 3.10.1) but plugins still don’t seem to work. Whenever I install some, Glyphs replies with

An installed plug-in requires Python 3. Do you want to download and install it now?

When I do that, the plugins still crash:

The last time Glyphs was started, the following plugins crashed.

Remove and reinstall them and make sure all modules are installed and up to date.
Anchors.glyphsPalette

Alignment.glyphsPalette

ShowVerticalMetrics.glyphsReporter

ShowDistanceAndAngleOfNodes.glyphsReporter

So I tried manually installing python 3.10.1, but after doing so I cannot change the Python Version of Glyphs in Preferences>Addons (it’s set to 3.8.2 Glyphs). Whenever I try entering commands into the Makro window, this message is displayed:

There is no compatible version of Python 3 installed. Do you want to download and install it now?

but doing so doesn’t change anything.

Thanks in advance! (M1 Max)

You need to download python 3.10 (without the ‘.1’. There was a bug in the version check.

The glyphs python from the Plugin Manager should work. If not, manually remove it from the ‘Repositories’ folder and install it again.

Could this be related to the fact I still have both versions Glyphs 2 & Glyphs 3 on my mac ??

Glyphs 2 and 3 can coexist on the same machine.

Trying to install the Python module (through Plugin Manager in Glyphs), but seems to just stall out when clicking the install button. Then quitting and restarting Glyphs seems to show it as “installed” in the manager window, but I don’t get the option in Preferences to select the Python version, and the folder appears empty in the Repositories folder. Internet is not great where I’m at, but gave it about 10 min to try to show a successful install. Curious if module currently working still?

3.1 (3133) / M1 2020 / 11.3.1 OS

Delete the “GlyphsPythonPlugin” folder, relaunch Glyphs and start the download again. When the installation is complete, the Install button turns red and reads Uninstall.

The complete download is about 189 MB.

Thanks Florian. Installed faster/right this time. Had a couple subsequent plug in errors, but selected the right version in Preferences and was prompted to run a command in Terminal (which didn’t work it said). But nonetheless, after some more app restarts, it seems to be ok now. Thanks.

1 Like