Glyphs Trial: All exports are Regular

I read this here before and we were told that this is a bug.

Using Glyphs Trial and regardless of what I enter in the Style Name field in the Font Info all fonts I’ve tried exporting always export as Regular (though of course the actual glyphs are not Regular - some are normal, some italic and some bold) - the OTF file name ends with “-Regular” and when checking the font in Apple Font Book it too shows the font variation as Regular (even though it isn’t Regular and I’ve entered something else in the Style Name field).

Do I need to do anything other than just enter say “Italic” or “Normal” in the Style Name and then export?

Or is this still a bug or a feature of the trial?

Anyway I hope this gets fixed somehow. Even with the trial I’d like to see how it works.

Any helpful input would be highly appreciated.

Can you send the .glyphs file to support at this domain?

I thing you just have to add a instance and put in the style name there. The family name in the first page should be just that. The setting in the second page are not used on export. Only the values from the third page are exported.

Thank you for your answer, Georg!

Unfortunately that didn’t make any difference. BTW, you didn’t mean pages but instance, right?

Hope I get this solved as sitakess too much time already.

Additional info: The fonts I’m working on are ones that have been created on Windows with Fontographer some years ago and have to be updated on OS X now (hopefully with Glyphs).

I meant pages in the font info. First page is Font, second masters, third Instances …

OK, then I got it right now. But I already had an instance (because I couldn’t generate or export a font without one) and that didn’t work. Now I created two more instances, activated them intermediately and exported the fonts. No difference.

No idea?

You had three instances in the file, two of them without a name, one with the name Regular. They were all inactive (first checkmark) except for one of the unnamed instances. The name will extend to whatever you name the instance, so if you want to call your font “Bold”, then you have to put that word in the Style Name. And your Font will be called that way too (also in Font Info, even the Finder file).

The style name must be set, so you cannot have an empty one. It’s a bad idea to leave this field empty. Make sure you employ a legal name (ASCII-only and must start with a letter).

Which Style Name do you want to have?

Thank you Mekka,

I already tried with different instances and styles, activated and not. E.g. I tried only one style named “normal” and “regular”. The three styles that I sent you come from different trials.

When exporting I always got a font named “Fontname-regular” or “Fontname-normal”. In Word 2011 and Textedit they always showed as fonts with that extended name plus the four standard styles.

Additionally I don’t want to have different styles in one Glyphs file.

For the font I sent you I only want to export one font named “ECClock 3” with the style “normal”. I don’t want a font named “ECClock 1 normal”.

I am not sure I understand what you mean. If you do this:

Family Name: ECClock 3 (set in Font Info > Font)
Style Name: Normal (set in Font Info > Instances)

… then this is what it looks like in TextEdit:

So my question is: What do you want as style name if not “Regular” or “Normal”? Look at the screenshot: What word do you want to show up under “Typeface”, between “Family” and “Size”? It must not stay empty.

Perhaps you mean the “Compatible Full Name”?

This is not implemented yet. In a future version of Glyphs, you will be able to use the “openTypeNameCompatibleFullName” Custom Parameter. This should set the name ID 18, the font’s “compatible full” name (Mac-only), but it won’t change your style name.

Unfortunately, as I said, that’s not implemented yet, so for now, you’d have to do it manually: Go into the Temp folder (~/Library/Application Support/Glyphs/Temp/), look for your font’s folder (probably the latest one), and in the file ‘features’, you change this line:

nameid 18 1 “ECClock 3 Regular”;

… to:

nameid 18 1 “ECClock 3”;

Then save the file, double click the generateFont.command in the same folder, and one folder level up, you’ll get a new .otf file.

Is that what you wanted?

1 Like

Thank you again, Mekka. That works in TextEdit, which I didn’t notice yet because it does not work with MS Word 2011. There the Family Name is “ECClock 3 Normal” and the style is “Normal”, too. This way I’m not able to find and select the correct font programatically, which is what I need. How comes that fonts that I created with Fontographer don’t have this quirk? I’ll try the solution you mentioned in your last post and let you know.

I’m very sorry, but Glyphs behaves completely different from other font designers that I know. I tried your solution “Compatible Full Name”. That doesn’t work either because it is overwritten everytime I open Glyphs and export the font. How can I make this change permanent? I’m still getting family names that include the style when I use Word.

This way Glyphs is unusable for me and for everybody who wants to design fonts that have to be used with MS Word and the other MS Office programs.

BTW, in Libre Office the fonts show their names correctly.

What to do? Please help!

OK, here we go again.

Sorry, I didn’t notice the “generateFont.command” in your post. This way it works with MS Word as well.

But this isn’t something I can do with a set of some 90 fonts. When will there be an update abailable? Or is there another workaround?

I filed a feature request for implementing the custom parameter.

If you can code, you can write a simple shell script that alters name id 18 in all subfolders.

This is because Windows does not allow “Normal” as a style name. So If you set Normal as style, it is used for Mac and Adobe apps but for all Windows Apps, The normal has to go the the Family name. Please have a look at names ID 1+2. The Mac entries will be
ID 1: ECClock 3
ID 2: Normal
The windows entires will be:
ID1: ECClock 3 Normal
ID 2: Regular

To avoid this, just use Regular as style. In your tests you used lowercase style names. This is now recommended.

And how do you select the fonts “programmatically”?

There is a VBA program that in some certain cases has to select fonts that correspond to the user needs. This software runs on Windows PCs with MS Word since around 1996 without any problem. Conversion to OS X is a real pain :frowning: . And it’s not just MS’s fault.

And does it work with “Regular” as style name?

I just added the support for “openTypeNameCompatibleFullName” as Rainer suggested.

1 Like

No, it doesn’t work with “Regular”. is there a new version for download that supports “openTypeNameCompatibleFullName”?

I will need to fix a few other things before releasing a new version. But can you send me a mail.