How to edit the underscore in glyphs mini?

I am new to making fonts and wanted to change the weight of the underscore of my font to better match the look of my font. I have glyphs mini and I was wondering if this is possible to do in glyphs mini and if it is possible, how would I go about doing it?

Does your font already contain an underscore glyph? If not, press the plus icon in located in the bottom left in Font View to create a new glyph. Click the glyph name, enter an underscore character _ and press Return. The glyph will be renamed to underscore.

Double-click the glyph to edit it in Edit View.

Sorry, I completely misspoke. I don’t think I meant underscore. What I mean is I wanted to change the underline where if you use the font in another app, you could underline a word, sentence, or paragraph with a thicker line. Is there any way to change that underline in glyphs mini to match a thicker font?

This is the line I was referring to. Is it possible to edit the underline?

I don’t think this can be controlled in Glyphs Mini. In Glyphs 3, you can set the underlineThickness and underlinePosition custom parameters for this.

Ok, thanks. I have a really old version of glyphs mini and I am thinking of upgrading to Glyphs 3. If I upgraded, where would I change the underlinethickness and underline position.

In File → Font Info… → Masters → Custom Parameters.

1 Like

Thanks, that is really helpful.

Sorry to bug you again. I am trying the free trial of glyphs 3 before I buy it. How do you preview what the underline will look like in glyphs. Also, is there a way to round the corners of the underline?

Go to Window → Plugin Manager and search for “Underline”. Then, click the green “Install” button next to the “Show Underline” plugin:

Plugins are loaded when Glyphs is launched, so you need to relaunch Glyphs after installing the plugin.

Now, in Edit View there is an underline button U in the bottom right of the window. Click it to show a preview of the the underline:

No, this is not controlled by the font, but by the application displaying the underline. A font can only control the thickness and the position of the underline.

1 Like

And a lot of apps actually ignore the values in the font.

2 Likes

Yes. Be aware that just because you add the custom parameters as described, doesn’t mean that the underline will appear in every app you use the font in.