How to lock layers together when spacing and kerning

I’ve created a 3d version of a font, with the components on different layers (e.g face and sides). I want to adjust the kerning for each letter as a whole, however it is only allowing me to kern one layer at time and as a result the layers are moving out of alignment.

So my question is, is there a way to lock the layers together or to use the edge of the widest layers for the kerning value?

Kerning and spacing can be synced between masters with the custom parameter Link Metrics With First Master.

2 Likes

Hey,

I want to do the spacing for my layered color font, but I have some troubles with the costum parameter »link metrics with first master«.
I selected the costum parameter for all the other master which should be linked to my first one, ticked the box to activate and updated the metrics after spacing the first master. But unfortunately nothing is happening. What Am I doing wrong?

Add (or copy&paste) the parameter to all masters.

What version of Glyphs do you have? Can you send me the .glyphs file (by email or a download link via direct message).

I’m having the same trouble, i have put in the custom parameter on all masters, however it is not doing anything.

Cheers

Is this related to your other post?

Well I ended up using that custom parameter, im not sure whether it worked but for the most part i had to manually space each layer. So my other post is problem im having as a result of doing it this way. I will send you the file.

Funny, because it works for me. Which version of Glyphs are you employing?

Version 2.3, the trail version

Try activating cutting edge in Glyphs > Preferences > Updates and then updating the app. See if it is fixed in the newer version.

Same problem here… Glyphs is updated, but kernings won´t link between the layers. The kerning groups are locked, but the kerning applies to one of the layers, meanwhile others remain locked and I cannot change the values manually.

What version do you have?

trial 2.4.4

Can you send me the .glyphs file?

sent… can it be the misuse of kerning locks in some place?

I’m having the same issue. I only have two layers. Both have “Link Metrics with First Master” in the Custom Parameter box. It is also checked (whatever that means). Any kerning adjustments I attempt move only one of the layers.

You mean you have two masters?

And you can only have the parameter in one of the masters.