How to use components for backgrounds

Is there a chance to add a background to all glyphs for a specific width (100%) and height (any pt)? I am trying to have a negative version of a font and that would be very helpful. Thanks for your support!

Screenshot%20at%20Aug%2027%2008-21-00

There is a plug-in that does that. Take a look in Window > Plugin Manager and look for Inverter.

I did that for my contribution to the Beirut typeface. It was a very complicated background, though.

Thanks for all your support on this and so many other topics! I appreciate it!

Hi All,
I have a question that is related to this thread.
Is there a way to kern these negative inverted letters in a way that the black backdrop wouldn’t interfere with white letter shapes?

I don’t think this is possible.

You will probably have to do your kerning like in the old days, and make alternates just for your kerning:

Or make your kerning pairs into ligatures.

Thats what I was afraid of. Still trying to come up with some better way, since the font has thousands of pairs and combinations.

Quite honestly, this is definitely possible with a script. I would do the kerning normally, and then write a script to solve this issue.

Two approaches, based on the kerning you will have done:

• Generate ligatures from combinations (easier to script, file just becomes bulky very quickly)
  • Make alternates, adjust shapes accordingly (very complex)

Bear in mind that you need to generate the respective OpenType features accordingly.
Positive kerning also needs to be taken into account.

Bonus: Daria Petrova - TypeMedia 2016

1 Like