Hyphens retained when exporting without using production names

When exporting with ‘Don’t use production names’ custom parameter, the hyphens are retained in the exported glyph names in V3. So ka-tamil remains ka-tamil in the ttf. This was not the case in V2 where ka-tamil was exported as katamil. I don’t see any problems with this as long as I stick with OpenType. I’m not sure about adding OT externally with makeotf though. My problem is with AAT. ftxenhancer complains when I add kerx table with hyphens in the glyph names. Is there anyway I can make the hyphens go away during export without too much work or going back to V2?

I fixed it.

But how does it work when you type the morx with hyphens and the exported font doesn’t have them?

1 Like

I’ll change the names in the morx (mif) by dropping the hyphens. Hyphens in mif files work. They don’t in atif files.

This came back. The hyphens are retained (again) in the exports and is causing problems when I compare my updated font with an older version (both TTF comparisons). I’m using Glyphs 3.2 (3249). Any chance of fixing it in the next cutting edge?

Could you send me some test file?

I’ve sent via email

So you are running the apple font tools on those exported fonts and those do not support hyphens in glyph names?

Yes. Apple tools do not support hyphens in .atif files.
My suggestion is to add a custom parameter to strip hyphens from glyph names, should custom names be retained.