Ideas for types of measurement tools

taking your words I could guess that all those guides are appearing automatically, doesn’t? and as a person that I navigate through the intricated complexity of the existing codes for other plugins, I know that nothing relating with programming is an easy task. If helps in any, it would be a great option to let the user decide where a guide will be placed, and maybe this way that ommiting conflict could be more manageable.

btw: The angle of those oblique messuring guides is defined by you (as user), is a fixed angle value or do has an automatic behavior depending on what is colliding with it? In my mind the user defines the starting and the endding points and the guides looks almost like you are showing, may be it sounds simplier but could be more complex to develop.

Wouldn’t it make sense, if you measure from an oncurve vertically/horizontally, and both opposing segments have vertical/horizontal handles, to measure just the distance between the oncurves (similar to hinting)? The nodes should probably not be too far apart and there are some questionable scenarios for this too, though:

And to avoid this, perhaps pick the one which is closer to 90 degrees to both segments?

I had already considered this idea, and I think it should work in most cases when nodes are aligned or closely aligned. However, for cases when they aren’t, like the bottom left bowl of the a, this could result in incorrect measurements.

What I’m trying to do most of the time is to generate interpolated measurements to reduce the number of measurements drawn. It’s already implemented for curve/curve but not yet for node/curve.

Here is what I mean by interpolated measurements :
Screenshot 2024-04-12 at 09.17.44

1 Like

Everything is automatically drawn. I understand your idea of a semi-manual measurement, but I truly think that it is not sustainable at the scale of a complete glyph set/many masters setup. Additionally, there is no method in my mind to prevent breaking all your setups if you change the number of nodes or the starting node.

Glyphs

I tried to add some visual indicators based on the metrics set in the Dimensions panel.

5 Likes

That’s stepping a little on the feet of my Show Stems Pro plugin, though.

My thoughts precisely :sweat_smile:

1 Like

I understand, @Mark. I first started using the values set in the Dimension panel to improve filtering and determine which measurements need to be drawn or not.

From this point, it was very tempting to also use them to add an additional level of information displayed.

I truly think Show Stems Pro and this plugin are designed to be used differently. Both aim to measure stems, but yours is more flexible and semi-automatic, whereas mine cannot be manipulated and has the primary goal of automatically displaying stem values.

I didn’t plan to integrate as many features as you did in Show Stems Pro.

1 Like

Then please don’t :wink:
(unless it is just for you and your studio)

1 Like

wait what??? so we cannot have an alternative tool to messure a vector path?? is does that what do you mean?

No, that’s not what I mean. I was talking about one specific feature which is highlighting almost matching and matching values from the dimensions palette. This itself has nothing to do with Hugo’s measuring tool. Of course he can provide his tool.