Illustrator CS6 cannot change the weight of characters without unicode

I’m adding icons to the font. Since some of symbols are not in the Unicode (burger menu, diagonal double sided arrow), they had to be without unicode. They export, but Ai treats it like it’s from a different font, so you cannot change the family or weight (app thinks multiple are selected). There’s no issue with InDesign though.

Is Unicode’s Private Use planes the solution? And if yes, do I just assign random numbers from there? I know Apple used Private Use for San Francisco.

Hi @Eames
Did you find a solution for this annoying Illustrator bug? Or is assigning PUA the only option? I just checked AI CC2021 and it does not work either.

You might be able to add a substitution like

sub bullet from [hamburger …]

in the aalt feature.

@GeorgSeifert But will it solve the problem, you cannot change style (weight) of characters without Unicode? There is no problem to insert those symbols from the Glyph panel, the problem is you cannot change the font or font style anymore.

Can you please send me the .glyphs file to support (at) (this website without ‘www’ or ‘forum’). I am not really sure I understand what is happening, and need to reproduce.

Hey! having the same issue here, did anyone find a workaround?

I don’t think there is a solution. When you insert a glyph from the glyph panel, it is inserted by glyph ID. And that is specific to the font.
So you either need to assign a unicode, or make the glyph available by a OpenType feature (e.g. ss01). That way Illustrator can infer the underlying unicode.