Invisible positioning features

Although I appreciate Glyphs’ auto-generated code for mark positioning, I wonder why it isn’t made visible to the user. After all, some fonts need more than mark positioning and pair kerning. It’s not that I want to replace the auto-generated code; I simply need to supplement it. What if I need to groups marks by mark-attachement classes or mark-filters? What if a mark needs to have its position adjusted in a particular context? Sometimes, it’s necessary to add complex contextual kerning.

It would be most appreciated to allow us to see the code when we need to.

1 Like

For a lot fonts there is not one mark feature but one for each instance. So it would be impractical to edit all of them.

You can add your own make feature that adds to the generated code. Check the temp folder for the code that is generated on export.

I am simply proposing that all the positioning code (GPOS) be made visible to the user so that those who wish to do so, can supplement it with additional code. I think numerous colleagues who have worked on complex fonts would agree with this proposal. As a result of this lack, some projects are obligated to resort to other tools to compose GPOS code.

2 Likes

This is what it looks like:

1 Like

How would one know where this additional code will be inserted with respect to the automatically generated code? The sequence of block of code is crucial in many cases.

1 Like

Add the comment # Automatic Code to position your code relative to the automatically generated code:

See section 8.4.8 Implicit Features in the handbook for more details:

https://cdn2.glyphsapp.com/media/pages/learn/f84e457b88-1639830290/glyphs-3.0.4-handbook.pdf#page=120

1 Like

Thank you very much, Florian. That’s most useful information.

1 Like