Is there a script for testing mark to mark positioning?

For example, something that would copy the unicode symbols of the selected glyphs but add a combining mark above and a combining mark below.

Something similar would also work fine.

For most marks the glyph data define anchors that can attache on top of it. So if you e.g. open the “acutecomb” and select an anchor, you will see the accent cloud. That is showing the mark to mark positioning.

And there is the “Show Mark Preview” plugin.

The mark cloud doesn’t support all the combining marks I’m using, and I have had similar with the “Show Mark Preview”.

What I was looking for here, was to see if there was a script that could copy the selected glyphs with unicode codepoints, so that they could pasted in a document. The only difference from the normal way of copying them would be that a combining mark above and below would be added.

For example turning this

АӘӔБВГҐҒӺҔӶДꚀꙢꚈԪԬԀԂЕЄЭЖҖЗԆԄꚄԐꙀꙂЅꙄӠꚂИІꙆЈꙈКҚҜҞҠӃԞԚ

into this.

А̥̊Ә̥̊Ӕ̥̊Б̥̊В̥̊Г̥̊Ґ̥̊Ғ̥̊Ӻ̥̊Ҕ̥̊Ӷ̥̊Д̥̊Ꚁ̥̊Ꙣ̥̊Ꚉ̥̊Ԫ̥̊Ԭ̥̊Ԁ̥̊Ԃ̥̊Е̥̊Є̥̊Э̥̊Ж̥̊Җ̥̊З̥̊Ԇ̥̊Ԅ̥̊Ꚅ̥̊Ԑ̥̊Ꙁ̥̊Ꙃ̥̊Ѕ̥̊Ꙅ̥̊Ӡ̥̊Ꚃ̥̊И̥̊І̥̊Ꙇ̥̊Ј̥̊Ꙉ̥̊К̥̊Қ̥̊Ҝ̥̊Ҟ̥̊Ҡ̥̊Ӄ̥̊Ԟ̥̊Ԛ̥̊

An adhoc solution appears to be to simply copy the glyphs from Glyphs, convert the text to a list, then replace the line break with the combining marks.

Using this method, I would be able to quickly discover which letters need some anchor adjustments without checking the letters one by one.

img1

This is mark to base and not mark to mark.

Normally it is enough to check the mark cloud when you work on the glyph anyway. If you find a glyph that doesn’t show a cloud, I can add it (or you can do it yourself by setting up a custom GlyphData file).

I think I have seen a script somewhere that does something like this. But it should be easy to write one.

This is exactly what Show Mark Preview does. You need to type the letters, followed by the combining marks, on a single line. Then it will try and preview the combining marks on the letters.

The marks need to be defined as combining marks, the letters as letter category, all need to have corresponding anchors. And the cursor must not be in the last position in the tab.

Hmm, it seems to work correctly now. It might be due to me adding most of my pua codepoints to the glyphdata.xml file if the fact that they are considered letters is required. Thanks.

I see, my mistake.

The amount of glyphs that would be requited for you to add would be a bit large at present. It would likely be better for me to hand updated files over once I have looked over them some more.

Would it be possible for you to explain how exactly the default mark cloud interacts with the glyphsdata.xml file? What exactly is it I would have to add for it to show up in the program. Does it also work with pua combining marks if those are set up correctly?

The problem is that I have to figure out how to start writing scripts here. The scripting guide, while very good, wasn’t enough for me to figure out how to write certain simple scripts.

Have you seen this: Roll your own glyph data | Glyphs It explains the file structure in detail. And if you don’t understand something, have a look at the file that ships with Glyphs. And you need to look for the marks="" part. It will get a comma separated list of (mark) glyph names. If you like to add the same list of marks to a lot of glyphs, you can add a reference like so: marks="=a" (replace “a” with the name of the glyph that has the marks defined).