Issue when using fonts on Word

Hi! I’ve created a few fonts in Glyphs and all of them have the same issue in word.

When I’m going to use the accented character (eg: ã), it doesn’t recognize the accent character (eg: ~). That means that it changes to Times New Roman every time I have to type something using accents. It’s very annoying and time consuming, to say the least.

Not only that, but in the latest font I’ve made (a cursive font), lots of characters are cut on the top (except when the font size is way too small).

Is there any fix for that? Could it be because the font wasn’t originally made in Glyphs, but in iFont Maker?

By the way, the issue only happens in Word (and I guess in other Microsoft programs, such as PowerPoint). When I use it on Adobe Illustrator or in Procreate (on my iPad) these issues don’t happen.

Any help is highly appreciated.

You most likely missing some accent glyphs. In case of the tilde, you need one called ‘tilde’ and one called ‘tildecomb’. The latter should get a ‘_top’ anchor and maybe a ‘top’, too.

1 Like

I have the accent character ~ (and all the other I need) and also the character with it ã (and the others). But I don’t have any character called comb. Is that why it is not working in Word? Because I haven’t created comb characters for all accents? And would this solve the issue of the font begin cut when is a normal or big size?

Hi, it’s advised/necessary to have comb (combining) accents for all your accents – these are the ones used to build the accented characters. Make sure you have the anchors set up correctly.

In regards to the font being cut off short of its bounding box, check out Rainer’s script Vertical Metrics Manager. GitHub - mekkablue/Glyphs-Scripts: Python scripts for the Glyphs font editor (under “Font Info”). There, you can define the vertical metrics in the font info custom parameters so that programs like Word can display your font correctly. Others will be able to explain the technicalities far better, that’s about as much as I believe to know about the topic :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Thanks! The combing worked for them all, except ~. I’ll se what I made wrong once I’m back home :frowning:

I would also run Glyph-Update Glyph Info in case that iFont Maker coded the accented glyphs differently (for whatever reason).
Re the letters being cut off on top/bottom, just increase your Ascender/Descender values to fit the the highest and lowest glyphs. You can use mekkablue’s script (same link as above) Report Highest and Lowest Glyphs (Test folder) to get the values

I would not increase the default ascender. It should match the ascender of the font. But add a ‘winAscent` to control the clipping directly. Otherwise the line spacing would be too big. Check the vertical spacing tutorial for details.

And you might like to add all glyphs in the Win 1252 to your font.

Are you testing in Word for Windows or Word for Mac?

• Mac: Make sure you avoid a font cache problem. Read this please: https://www.glyphsapp.com/tutorials/eliminating-font-cache-problems
  • Windows: As Georg said, cover Win 1252, including nbspace and the legacy marks.
  • Please read the ‘Vertical Metrics’ tutorial, follow the Webfont Strategy described there.
  • if you open fonts created elsewhere in Glyphs, make sure you read the tutorial about ‘importing existing fonts.’