Italicising font with components

Observation: If I italicise a font with components, the flipped components are reverse-italicised:

Screenshot 2021-05-10 at 5.25.59 pm

If I leave the components, they are not italicised:

Screenshot 2021-05-10 at 5.25.36 pm

Short of expanding everything, what’s the best workaround here?

Also, this reminds me - I mentioned a while back that globally italicising a font (master by master) does not italicise the bracket/brace layers. I’d suggest that any globally applied filter also affects the layers too.

As a workaround, is there a way to see which glyphs have layers and which don’t from the font view in order to manually fix this and italicise everything?

Thanks

My guess is that you will need to differentiate between left and right serifs for italics.

With a smart filter in Font View (Cmd-Opt-1): click on the gear symbol in the bottom left corner of the window, choose Add Smart Filter and then set it up to show all glyphs for which ‘Has Special Layers’ is true:

Thanks, Rainer, will do.
I notice that component serifs that are not set to 100% (width, height) are also not italicised to the correct angle, meaning that even if I did differentiate between top and bottom serifs, I’d need do also fix the angles. I’m guessing the only way is to decompose them and then manually adjust?

To solve this, would it be possible for transformations applied in the font window to apply equally to all the elements of a glyph, including corner components? (Optionally, if that messes up something else). I would guess that that’s the way most users would intend it to work.

1 Like

Workaround: Un-italicise, expand, italicise again. I lose the links to the serif components, but I can’t think of another way to do this that’s not more complicated. :frowning:

What exactly do you expect should be done to the corner components? Can you show some screenshots with the original glyph, the current result and what you like to have?

Sure - original:

Current effect (if serif components are left as is):
Photoshop mock-up of what I would like (ie the transformation transforms everything it is applied to:

As I say, if I transform the original components as well they still appear flipped, and if they are set to something other than 100% height/width, they distort from the 12° slope they should have.

I don’t think you will be spared to properly prepare really slanted corner components. Allowing a slant transformation on the applied corner will get you one step closer but will get in your way very quickly. And it will only work for very simple corners.

It’s more difficult than that, unfortunately, Georg – even if I did, if I then set them to less/more than 100% width/height, they become distorted, as I mentioned on this grab:

Thus applying the slant to the corner components globally once placed, as I show in the mockup, seems the best way – why do you think it will “get in the way”? Thanks for looking at this

The distortion is a mathematical result of an angle changing if it is stretched/compressed. Thus the angle has to be applied AFTER the stretch/compress to be preserved, not before.