Knife tool G2 style

Hi! Could you please release the knife tool from G2 (which doesn’t open the path) as a plugin for G3? I use it all the time to add nodes (because it’s a lot faster movement than aiming with the pen and getting half of the nodes next to the path) :slight_smile:

You can hold option key while using knife tool. That will add nodes.

1 Like

Didn’t know that, thank you!

Hi! Is there a way to swap the default and option key behaviors for the Knife? Even after a while, holding Option key still feels like a new disturbing step, rather than an improvement. It’s an awesome tool for adding nodes quickly, but I’ve never found any use for opening paths (of course, some users do benefit from that).

I also find it an odd and annoying change, is there a macro command to get the Glyphs 2 behaviour back?

For now, you will have to hold down Opt, sorry. Its primary use is to cut paths when you cross a complete path (i.e. at least two opposing segments). Or you only cross one segment at a time, then it will add points again.

That’s what I want :blush: But it opens the path instead.

I know you made it more logical, but apparently I’m not the only one with ingrained G2 behaviour. It would be great to have an option to revert to this.

That’s what makes me wonder: was the decision based on logic or real life practice? :slight_smile: In other words, how often do users need to open a path when cutting a single segment? What’s the application of that? Is it used more often than to add nodes? Why not open the path when cut through 2 segments then? I can understand opening path at existing nodes, but it’s done differently.

True, with the Opt key. It has sunk into my muscle memory a long time ago.

It was inconsistent before, and its more consistent now, and it supports more working modes: breaking open paths, adding points, slicing paths. We had a lot of real-world use ever since the first beta version, and AFAICR you are the only one in three years that complains about the use of the Opt key in the Knife tool. Have you been using G2 in parallel until recently?

New versions bring changes, what can I say. :woman_shrugging:t2: We had to change a lot of default shortcuts too, to make them more consistent. But I think it makes way more sense now.

It’s two of us now, even though we may look identical! :smile:

Yes, surprisingly slow transition for me. G2 for ‘serious’ projects, where the app has to be reliable in every corner, and G3 when I feel risky. Although, now it is of course pretty safe too, kudos to you guys.

Nothing against changes which make sense! :slight_smile:

Yep, we’re totally not the same person :slight_smile:

Almost exclusively, precisely because of stuff like this and the problems I posted earlier and submitted crash reports about. Current project can’t be saved in Version 2 format, so here we are.

Shortcuts can be changed, unlike tool behaviour. I’m not going to rant about this change anymore, just remember this xkcd: Workflow It’s funny because it’s true :slight_smile:

Can you send me a sample file?

That’s not a bug though, there are Glyphs3-style alternate/intermediate layers that prevent that. Unless you can make it work in V2 format, that would be awesome :slight_smile:

Can you still send me a file?

I can’t, unfortunately.

Can you reproduce the problem with another file?