Languages covered in Latin

Hi,

Apologies for the ignorance. I am trying to expand my knowledge.

What all languages will my font support if I generate glyphs for all categories under Latin? This includes:

• Western European
  • Central European
  • South Eastern European
  • Vietnamese
  • Pinyin
  • IPA
  • Pan African Latin

I did not find the answer to this in the any of the Tutorials.

Follow up question:
If I generate the glyph Adieresis before making dieresis or setting anchor points for A, is there a command I can run to auto-fill the Adieresis glyph after making dieresis and setting up anchor points?

Looks like the auto-fill only works if I generate the Adieresis glyph after I have everything in place.

Thanks.

The language coverage was discussed several time, here and at typedrawers.com

Try Glyph > Make component glyph.

I’m sorry. But I could not find the answer to my question about Latin language support.
I tried to find it on the forums here and typedrawers too.

Could you please provide me a link to the answered question plz?

It would be helpful and productive for others if the information about language support is provided on the Tutorials.

Thanks. :slight_smile:

There is no single link to that information, but a half-dozen or more sites that provide information about languages and their character sets.

You can validate your font by uploading it to Underware which will return a list of languages supported of the 219 Latin ones they have data on.

We discussed this on the forum before too. The problem is that there is no good answer to that question. There are indeed some letters only ever used in singular languages, like hcircumflex for Esperanto, but mostly the boundaries are soft.

To give you a simple example, which letters do you need for German? Most people will reply ÄÖÜäöüß. What about Éé? You will not be able to set an average-length German text without put them because of the many French words in German that require it, Café being one of them. Similar story for Àà. Is your font supporting German if it does not have the cap sharp S (glyph name Germandbls)? It is part of official German orthography, but so rarely in use that you could easily do without it, and practically the complete corpus of German literature is doing without it, and has been printed without this letter. But in no other language besides German one would ever use it.

And we have dozens of similar issues in Charwát determination. So take all language support lists with grains of salt. There are inherent problems that cannot be solved easily.

To add another resource to the list:
http://www.eki.ee/letter/

Thanks @mekkablue for the detailed answer. It makes sense. Appreciate it.
Based on the previous answer, this is also a valuable resource:
https://www.underware.nl/download/latin_plus/Underware_Latin_Plus_Data_1.txt
Thanks @George_Thomas

Plz feel free to close this thread.

There is a mekkablue script called Test > Language Report which more or less gives you the Latin Plus rundown with a few alterations of mine.

2 Likes

Another resource: SIL International’s ScriptSource

1 Like