Make Odia Font from scratch

Hello, I am a designer, always interested in typo but now I am thinking to। make it digitalised. I am very new to digital font making. Can anyone let me understand how to make an Odia font. It is an Indic language it has , Matras Halant etc, up to now I can only create consonants but I don’t know how give matras properly and make how conjunctive consonant works.

I am very beginner stage, please if possible make it simple as I’m beginner but ready to do whatever is needed.

Can anyone help me, as far as I have learnt, there is Open Source font type or something.

Read this first: Creating a Devanagari font | Glyphs
You are going to want this for proofing: ‎Hibizcus on the Mac App Store
You would probably also want to use the test documents and study the Open Source fonts created by Indian Type Foundry: Indian Type Foundry · GitHub
The Noto Odia is OFL-licensed, and mature at version 2.x. The source files are done in Glyphs, so have a look at how they did things: GitHub - notofonts/oriya: Noto Oriya

2 Likes

Thanks, I read the devnagri article already, I still don’t know how the akhanda conjuncts(mix of two letters, also matras at perfect position) work.

As I remember it, you just populate your matra glyphs and Glyphs will then automatically generate all the matras and code needed to make them work automatically.