Metrics Transformation problem

I have made a fatal error in understanding how < Transformation . Metrics > works. I was trying to add 4 units to the sidebearings of a group of glyphs. I typed in 4 and ran the filter. Instead of adding 4 units, it changed the whole sidebearing to 4 units. Luckilly, I had saved a copy of the latest metrics file so I was able to recover. But, I still would like to know how to do it. FontLab 5 had a selection for “increase by” but I do not see it in glyphs. Is there a way to do this without having to do it one glyph at a time?
55%20PM

That requires the Relative option you see below.

Thanks, Erik!

Related question I struggle to find documentation on:
What “unit” is the bearing adjustment in this Transformation > Metrics tool?
I’m a newbie, but is this a typography specific “bearing” unit?
More importantly: If the “relative” option is turned on, how is the value entered used - is a value of “10” meaning a 10 % percent (e.g. {new} = {current} * 1.10) increase to each individual LSB/RSB value?

Apologies to “re-activate” an old thread, but my question is related, so hoping to keep relevant information for others close together.

The units you transform by correspond to the units you see in Glyphs. A glyph has a right and a left side bearing, as well as a width resulting from these values.

In other apps such as InDesign, these values translate based on the UPM (Units Per Em), which you can set in your Font Info. The base value is 1000 UPM, where one unit in Glyphs corresponds to one unit in InDesign (for kerning, for example). If you set your UPM to 2000 in Glyphs, two units in Glyphs correspond to one unit in InDesign and so forth.

Thank you! That’s really useful.

And the “relative” option means adding (or subtracting) the entered value for each glyph?
I.e.: it’s not making a % adjustment, it’s just doing + or - the entered value?

Correct.