Missing glyphs on composite letters at pdf export

Hello, I have an issue with a font when exporting a pdf from Indesign.
Some letters with diacritics appears with a missing glyph symbol. But the related glyphs actually exists and they appear fine with other diacritics.
For example ç : the cedilla appears on a missing glyph, however c alone has no problem.
And the same diacritics (cedilla, ogonek and comma accent) works fine with other letters.

I can’t find any difference between how the letters are made, they’re all made of two components, directly linked to the letter and the diacritic.
I have no idea why ç doesn’t work but Ç works fine.

The letters are displaying while working in Indesign, they just brake at export.
I also tested in Illustrator, same thing.

The only solution I found is decomposing these letters but it’s not optimal.
Any idea how to fix this?

Is this a multiple master design? In that case, are those glyphs actually compatible?

What did you actually type? A “ccedilla” or a “c” + “cedilla”. Do you have a “ccedilla” and a “cedilla” and a “cedillacomb” in your font?

Yes it’s a variable font with two axes, four masters. They are compatible.
Same thing happens on every instance.

Actually the text was generated by an Indesign plugin. But I just tried it by typing directly “ccedilla” and the same thing happens.

Yes I have ccedilla, cedilla and cedillacomb

Can you send me the .glyphs, the .otf and the .indd files?

1 Like

I tried your files and it works fine. How did you install the font? Maybe this helps: Eliminating font cache problems | Glyphs
and Testing your fonts in Adobe apps | Glyphs

I installed it manually by dragging it in the User Library’s Font folder. So I tried the Adobe Font folder technique instead, I tried to install it through the Font Book, rebooting Indesign every time but nothing changed.

I also tried the techniques to eliminate font cache problems, it didn’t work but thanks for the suggestion.

Good news if it works fine for you, maybe the font is fine, it might come from my Adobe softwares. I tried with other apps like Affinity or Pages and there’s no problem.

Is there a way to decompose components automatically at export for specific letters? I thought a custom parameter could do it but I didn’t find anything

I would never install fonts to the system, you should exclusively use the Adobe Fonts folder to test in Adobe apps.

Did the custom parameter Decompose Components not show up when searching in parameters for Exports?

When you export as OTF, all components are decomposed, anyway.

My bad I only looked in Font and Masters… And it worked. Thanks!

Ok, but why? I’ve never had any issue with it and it’s pretty handy. The only thing is you have to reboot the app when you change a font.

I know but somehow it worked. I added Decompose Glyphs in a Variable Font Setting > Custom Parameter.
I still don’t understand how/why Indesign treated these glyphs as composite at export. But at least this fixes it for now.

How is it handy to install fonts to the system and then reboot the app? Have you actually properly set up your Adobe Fonts folder? Using that, all you need to do is export your fonts to that folder, and it will automatically update in the Adobe apps, without rebooting anything.

What’s more, installing fonts to the system very often leads to cache problems, meaning you can never be sure the version you’re currently seeing is the one you installed. Avoid this.

I don’t only use this method to test my fonts from Glyphs, I have a shortcut to this folder in my dock and a drag/drop install a font. That’s how it’s handy.
Again I never have font cache issues and this doesn’t seem to be one either. But thanks for the advice.

The problem with the font cache is that you never know when the problems will appear. As the font worked fine for me, this might be one.

Ok. What makes me think that it’s not a cache issue is that I also tried to install the font with a different family name. In the tutorial you shared I read that the font caches are linked to the font name.

If you simply define an alias which points to your export location and sits in your Adobe Fonts folder, all you have to do is export your font. It will automatically update instantly in all Adobe apps, no cache issues.

Ho nice, thanks for the tip!