Missing ";" on line 53

My company needs a small modification to Google’s Montserrat. (Changes have been cleared with the legal department.) After I save the Glyphs file and try to reopen I get this:

The document Montserrat-Light could not be opened. Missing “;” on line 53.

I don’t know what line 53 is, and it’s happening to all other weights. Oddly, I didn’t have this problem about a month ago with Regular and Medium. I’m using version 3259.

Thanks for the help!

Try the latest beta please. Go to Glyphs > Preferences > Updates, activate both checkboxes and press the Update button.

Line 53 is the 53rd line in the (text-based) .glyphs document.

Curious. The update gives me the same error for Montserrat. Testing other fonts I get the error for Kanit, but not Libre Baskerville or Poppins (all Google fonts)

Can you explain what you are doing? What version do you have now? Can you send me a file that shows that error?

I opened the True Type in Glyphs 3259 and then saved the file. Very simple. When I reopened it gave me the error.

I tried this on my home copy (3151) and the Glyph file opened just fine. I’ll use this older version as my needs are simple.

You can download a copy of Montserrat from Google. I’ve downloaded it three times now and each download gives me the same problem with 3259.

I checked a couple of the static fonts and with no editing, saving as a new .glyphs file results in the Line 53 error when attempting to reopen. G3.3, 3303.

The mark feature has a lot of errors in it and I believe that may be the cause of the error. Line 53 is the date line preceding all the feature code.

Here’s an original static font for testing.
Montserrat-SemiBold.ttf (193.3 KB)

Why are you not using the original Montserrat Glyphs file available on the GitHub repository for Montserrat? Reverse-engineering compiled font files is never a good idea, at least if there are source files available.

I’ll have a look at the file. Not sure if I can improve the feature code import but at least write a valid file.

The issue is an invalid “achVendID” in the OS/2 table. I posted an issue on the Montserrat repo. And fix the import of that field.

I’m don’t know about the GitHub repository and how it works. Furthermore I don’t know what “an invalid “achVendID” in the OS/2 table” is. Can you inform me?

Check the “sources” directory. You’ll find the original Glyphs files there.

The files that are distributed through google fonts are slightly invalid. And Glyphs wasn’t handling this correctly. So I fixed that. And I reported it to google.

The fonts in the source repo are fine. But as said above, use the .glyphs files.

Thank you both!! Valuable information. Much appreciated.