More from the bounding box? Suggestion

Hi All, I’ve noticed that I’m using the bounding box more often in the very early stages of drawing to very quickly scale shapes.

I know you can use the rotate tool ® but wondered if it would be useful to other users if the bounding box had a couple of extra ‘quick’ functions:

• Pulling on a corner handle would rotate the box and contents from its centre
  • Sliding middle handles (horizontal/vertical) would slant the box and contents

Jamie

1 Like

Problem is, we need to exclude the accidental triggering of these functions. In other apps, that is too easy. How can we make sure slanting and rotating is enabled only when it is clear it is the user’s intention?

I would say it’s all in the proximity to the handles.

Drawing all happens inside the box, and its here that accidental triggering would be a problem, outside the bounding box is where you’d expect to manipulate the frame

For rotation, hovering just outside the corner handle is pretty safe.
I haven’t seen skew on a bounding box before but hovering just outside a middle handle would be awesome.

What do you think?

1 Like

I still think there must be a more distinct way to differentiate it, more distinct than in AI. As opposed to vector illustration, in type design, scaling is frequent, but rotation and skewing is rather rare, so accidental triggering is an issue. We are discussing solutions internally.

1 Like

Great to hear that you are discussing it.

Yes, skew is more rare though I use rotate a reasonable amount while getting the main shapes in order. I also use Glyphs for lettering projects too which benefit from quick controls.

As designing type is an accurate task I would say the designer’s use of the controls reflects this. So maybe keep the proximity quite tight and, like many of the extensions enable the user to toggle on/off in the view menu.

Cheers

J

Thanks for your input! Possible changes will still take a while though. For the time being, you will have to live with the Rotate tool.

1 Like