Myfonts font validator issues > missing character and Windows vertical metrics

Hello there !
Thanks to really talented people here, my new font project is coming along :smiley:
Before creating my sample images, I want to be sure that everything is OK with Myfonts.
I succeded in resolving some of my problems, but Iā€™m stuck with 2 of themā€¦
So sorry I come again to ask you to ask for helpā€¦

Here is what the validator says :

First : the mysterious missing character.
I donā€™t understand why zcaron is missing because that glyph do exists in my font file :weary: !

Secondly : the Windows vertical metrics issue.
I obviously read your tuto (Vertical metrics | Glyphs) but it seems that it is about Glyphs and not Mini. I actually didnā€™t find File > Font Info > Master in Glyphs Mini.

Is there any Mini tuto helping with this Windows Metrics issue ?

2 Likes

The second problem is not a problem. It says that the glyphs will NOT be clipped. That is good. You want to avoid clipping. Not sure why they list this.

Great ! Thank you mekkablue.
And do you have any idea about the first issue ?

@ArtGrootfontein, https://foundrysupport.monotype.com/hc/en-us/articles/360029280752 - make sure youā€™ve got all the required characters in your font. Most likely you are missing something like ordinal indicators (feminine and masculine).
Here is MyFontsā€™ old pdf guide https://www.dropbox.com/s/ncl91dphfaxixl6/CharacterSet-Display-Minimum.pdf?dl=0 - it is easier to use (at least for me)
Upd: I see that they are saying that zcaron is missing. Iā€™d rename it and add a new one to make sure your zcaron has the unicode required (if Glyphs Mini doesnā€™t have Update Glyph Info in the menu).

2 Likes

Hi @elena and thank you very much !
I renamed my character and add a new one and it works !
I can now work on my fonts specimens !

Is there any guidelines or good practice for those images ?

@ArtGrootfontein just show your font ā€œin actionā€. Nice catching first slide: nice name and main features listed, then some slides showing the font features and then show how to use it in all sorts of products - tshirts, books, comics, packaging - whatever your font suits for. There is a lot of free stuff like product mockups, photos etc on the internet should you need them.
Good luck to the new font!

Thank you very much @elena !
I saw that we can make up to 15 specimensā€¦ I love creating that kind of stuff but does people really slide until the last one ? (is it useful to make more than 7-8 images ?)

Iā€™d be glad to see your work if youā€™re OK.

Could you please send me the link to your fonts ?

@ArtGrootfontein No problem at all!
If you keep people engaged theyā€™ll survive through the 15 slides :wink:
Here is my fonts https://www.myfonts.com/foundry/My_Creative_Land/ :upside_down_face:

1 Like

Wow ! Actually I knew your work, @elena ! I even bought one of your font :smiley:

Thanks for the tips !

1 Like

You are very welcome, @ArtGrootfontein! :slightly_smiling_face:

If I read it correctly, the section headings do not state the error but the desired condition. It would better if it said ā€œVertical metrics result in clipping on Windowsā€. In the detailed explanation, they seem to make a distinction between clipping ascenders and descenders (which the font does not) and clipping diacritics, which the font does seem to do: ā€œIt is good practice to ensure that your vertical metrics also [in addition to ascenders/descenders] accommodate your diacriticsā€ (emphasis and addition mine).

1 Like