No kerning in Office

For now, only otf

try .ttf

MS Office likes TrueType flavour better…

Font validator works on Mac, now: https://github.com/HinTak/Font-Validator

2 Likes

@mekkablue could you tell me please whether these both lines
languagesystem DFLT dflt;
languagesystem latn dflt;

should be included in Languagesystems in order to avoid Word problems with open type features and kerning? Or first DFLT should be replaced by latn too?

This should be done automatically. Update your features and a Languagesystems entry should appear.

1 Like

Yes, it was done automatically, but I was taught to replace DFLT by latn (although there were both rows DFLT and latn already - so eventually there would be two latn rows without DFLT at all), so I was confused.

So basically everything is correctly set automatically? (I have both DFLT and latn lines automatically generated)

Who says this? And with which reasoning?

This is how it has always worked for me. But you can easily test for yourself.

1 Like

The person who made an online course on script fontmaking I am taking now and I believe there is no technical reason, it was said that in order to be sure that everything works correctly in Office, DFLT has to be replaced by latn - but I thought it is not logical to make two identical code lines (latn was already in the code as I already told) so I decided to investigate :slight_smile: Maybe some kind of information on this theme was simply misinterpreted.

Try it with the automatic default. Test it in Word. And if it doesn’t work, you can still deactivate the automation, and delete the DFLT line.

1 Like

Hi Guys,
I have the same trouble with that issue and already tried a lot of the recommended stuff. Ligatures and kerning work fine in Word (when I activate it) but not in PPT. I compared it to another Font I bought (I’m sure it was made with glyphs) which works fine in all Microsoft applications. This Font has almost the same features and format (as far as I noticed in the font info of FontExplorer). Finally I put both in the Font Validator and saw that the other Font got an Error on all kerning pairs: “A kern pair has a glyph ID that is not mapped in the cmap table”. Can somebody tell what those guys did and how I could achieve the same result?

BTW got the same problem (word and ppt) with the cpsp-feature whats almost more annoying!

To really know what is in a font, you can’t rely on FontExplorer. Use OTMaster or TTX.

PPT does not support OT Features at all. That includes kerning.

Thank you for the quick response. I know that PPT doesn’t support OT-Features and Word only a few. I was just wondering why most of the fonts (also with a lot of kerning pairs) and Capspacing work in PPT anyway and what I’m doing wrong with the export or the kerning itself or has it something to do with the cmap table?! Here´s a screenshot of what I’m talking about (my font, GT Walsheim, MT HelveticaNeue)

The have an old-style kern table. You can create one with the custom parameter, but it has its problems. I quote the Handbook:

Write Kern Table boolean On export, will write an old-style kern table in addition to the kern feature in the GPOS table. All group kerning will be expanded into all possible singleton pairs. This means that you will have to subset before using this parameter, otherwise you risk a table overflow.

Thank you Rainer! I’ll try it and will see if it causes any problems. Just can’t imagine why almost every foundry offers that style of kerning! :wink:

We believe we have found the recipe for fixing the broken kerning in Office. At least it works for us. It is a combination of tips and tricks from this forum and people we have talked to. It goes like this:

1. We filter the amount of kerning pairs to prevent kern table overflow (max around 10.000). We use ‘delete small kerning pairs’ by mekkablue.
  2. We make sure that all glyphs with kerning have a unicode (if not, kerning breaks in PowerPoint. You might have to assign PUA unicode values to custom glyphs.)
  3. We use the custom parameter Write Kern Table
  4. Export as TTF

Thank you to all participants in this thread, Jens Kutílek and Lucas de Groot for your help!

8 Likes

Some recent findings in topic that may or may not be of help to anyone:

Whatever I do I can not make a TTF exported from Glyphs with "Write Kern Feature” to work properly in Powerpoint for MAC (yes, only Mac, works everywhere including Word for Mac).

I can get some of the kerning pairs work, but not all and it all seems random which ones. I did reduce the number of kerning pairs to 10920 first so I could generate the ”legacy kerning” so it should be safe.

But I did a new test just now, and just opened up the very sams Glyphs file in FontLab VI instead and just exported from there – and it worked without any other tricks!

I have no idea why, but love to know obviously, but happy for now I can deliver the fonts to the client.

Could you send me the two files, the one from Glyphs and the one form FLVI?

I can’t, at least until they’ve launched the typeface. I will try to replicate it with a retail font.

You might try the obfuscation plugins.