Nudge key combination

I just “upgraded” to macOS Ventura from Catalina, and found out the key combination control + option + arrow keys is now used by the OS to move windows up/down/left/right. The same combination was used to nudge nodes in glyphs by a single unit, and it’s impossible to do it anymore. It does work when also holding shift, but I liked to use the small increment often and I really want it back. I googled and looked everywhere in system preferences but I can’t for the life of me find out how to disable the shortcut. Is there really no way to do it? Any workarounds?

Edit: I tried to make a custom shortcut in system preferences for the two menu titles (right and left, still wouldn’t solve up/down, but it’s something), and restarted my computer. I was hoping it would override the default shortcut but it looks like apps then just respond to both.

I also use Ventura, I don’t have that shortcut and couldn’t find it in Shortcuts section. Are you using 3rd party window manager app such as Spectacle, Magnet or Rectangle? If so you may need to disable that app for Glyphs. I’m using Spectacle and disabled it for Glyphs.

No, the computer is brand new and I haven’t installed any third party apps like that.

I also had shortcut issues with Ventura, but different ones.

Look into system settings > keyboard > shortcuts > app shortcuts, and see the shortcuts for all apps.

I looked, there’s nothing there. There are some other shortcuts elsewhere relating to mission control and spaces, and I disabled everything I could, but that’s a different feature, not the problem.

I found this one person that has the same issue but no one’s replied to them. keyboard - Disabling MacOS Ventura Shortcut to Move Window to the Bottom or Top - Ask Different

Is it the same in a new user?

You could try an app like ShortcutDetective to find which app is using a specific shortcut. I’m not sure it works with system-wide commands, but at least it will rule out 3rd-party apps which might have this as a secondary feature.

1 Like

Is it the same in a new user?

Huh, it’s actually not. When I first logged in after creating the new user the shortcut worked in Finder windows, but Glyphs was unaffected and nudge worked normally. Then I restarted the computer, logged in to test it again and the shortcut stopped working at all in other apps (and Glyphs was still ok). But either way, that seems like a good sign? Although, I set up the computer as new and didn’t restore any settings from Time Machine or anything, and only started to look into shortcuts after I noticed this happening in Glyphs, so I don’t know how this is happening. Still doesn’t work in my main user account after trying to compare settings and restoring shortcuts to default.

You could try an app like ShortcutDetective to find which app is using a specific shortcut. I’m not sure it works with system-wide commands, but at least it will rule out 3rd-party apps which might have this as a secondary feature.

Thanks but yeah, doesn’t seem to work with system commands.

1 Like

I FINALLY figured it out!!! I was so frustrated I went nuclear and completely reset the computer. As I was reinstalling everything I kept checking Glyphs and the shortcut issue came up again just as a pop up from Dell display manager (DDPM) appeared asking for access to system events or something. I removed it and now everything’s back to normal! Though it’s infuriating, because I bought this monitor specifically because it was supposed to work well with Macs (and because it was a third of the price of Apple’s studio display). I’ll miss being able to adjust the brightness from the computer instead of having to reach around for the button but it’s not really worth the headache.

1 Like

I’m glad you figured it out!

Check out MonitorControl for this. I use it with an LG display and it works flawlessly.

Oh that’s genius, I don’t know how it didn’t occur to me to look for another third party tool for this. It looks like Monitor Control can’t access hardware controls on mine, so that’s not ideal, but after a quick search a link for BetterDisplay came up, and that works perfectly! I’d actually come across that app a while ago when I was trying to learn more about display scaling, I didn’t realize it had all these other features. Anyway, thanks!!! (and sorry mods for going so far off topic lol)

1 Like

No problem. On the contrary, thanks for figuring this out.