Pixel font with variable rounded corners

Hello, not sure if this is the correct section, if not I’m sorry!

I have a question regarding the possibility of a variable pixel font with rounded corners. I created a font with two masters, a “high” one and a regular one. Both are pixel masters, based from components that I decomposed, and made with the tutorial on pixel fonts (that is amazing, btw). My font correctly exports to variable in height. However, I also have created two instances, also using the tutorial as a guide with custom parameters, of my pixel font with rounded corners, one for each regular and high masters. I can see perfectly in the preview in the type window my rounded instances.

What I wanted to know is if there was a possibility to create a font that would be variable, not only in height, but also in the rounded corners: it would go from square pixels to rounded corner pixels, and could also change in height. I’ve tried experimenting with adding points to my pixel master so it matches the number of points of my rounded master but it’s extremely tedious, obviously, and not very reliable.

Also, but I suspect it’s easy and I’m being stupid, when I do Instance Master it does not copy the glyphs from the instance, if that makes sense. My glyphs are empty instead of having the paths from the instance (which I can see perfectly in preview).

I have also crashed a lot today trying to delete a master, I sent the report, but just letting you know.

If that is not clear I can totally send screenshots, sorry for my english! Thanks a lot!

I am going a bit crazy with this idea. I tried to make a variable font by making my pixel font compatible with my rounded version, by adding anchor points all over so that it matches the number of anchor points on the rounded version. I suspect it’s absolutely not the way to do it, and it doesn’t work. I’m wondering if it’s because the points are corners?

All I want to be able to do is to variate the font between square pixels and rounded corners. I really want to know if it’s even possible. Thank you!

I think you need to use this option:
56%20AM

yes, you need the same number of nodes to make masters compatible, example with lowercase i:

notice the extra nodes In each.
May-03-2020%2009-32-29

btw, you can use components:

You could reuse 4 different components, one for each corner:

• Upper left
  • Upper Right
  • Bottom Left
  • bottom right
    you’ll need to get creative with the inner ones.

I would either use corner components for the roundings, but that is difficult to implement at this stage.

Or, write a script that contracts the curve segments into one point. Can you send me the .glyphs file?

Hello, did you ever find the solution to this? I am trying to do something similar.

You should be able to do it with a combo of corner components and a virtual master.