Plug-In: Manipulate LSB and RSB with the Mouse

Hello folks,

Im new to this forum, because I plan to write my very first glyphs-plugin.
Disclaimer: Im not really a coder yet, so I’m just learning all the stuff through your tutorials. But your documentation is so great, that I decided to give it a try!

The Idea: I want to manipulate the LBS and RBS directly with the mouse, by grabbing the vertical lines in Edit-view and you don’t have to change numbers in the LBS/RBS field below.

Is it possible to do something like this with a plug-in?
If yes: Which template should I choose, to start with? The SelectTool? Or the EditView?

Thank you very much!
I’m glad there is such an active community for this great Software!

That is possible. You would start with an select tool. Please don’t touch the editView :wink:

You now that it is much more convenient to do it with the keyboard? You don’t need to type the numbers.

I was afraid, that there is already an easier way and I just don’t know it. :sob:
Thank you, thats a good start.

But I think I will try to build this plugin anyways.

Background-Story:
A professor of mine just switched to Glyphs after decades of using Ikarus (do you know this software? I’ts ancient.) I convinced him that in 2016 Glyphs is the best software for creating modern fonts (for example when it comes to OTF and the Feature Support, which Ikarus never got, since it is ancient :grinning:) And he became a big Fan of the Edit view and now exclusively uses Glyphs. But he still misses some Features/Behaviours of his old Ikarus. (for example the adjustment of the side-bearings with the mouse)

Maybe I’ts a good exercise for creating Plug-Ins :slight_smile:

@GeorgSeifert
Hi,

I wanted to chime in on this thread. Though it may be easier or more convenient for those who design book faces, it is not for those of us who design connecting scripts. With connecting scripts I often place a node exactly where the right side bearing needs to be in order to make it connect perfectly to other characters. Using the numeric perimeters doesn’t always work as there may be ascenders that change where the side bearing needs to be. Being able to slide the side bearing with the mouse and place it exactly on the node of the connecting stroke is far far easier and less time consuming.