Prepolator > Glyphs

Hi,

I’m working with some ufo’s in Prepolator and I’m having the same ufo’s open in Glyphs. If I modify and save the ufo’s in Prepolator, Glyphs notifies me that there’s been changes made in the ufo’s and asks me if I want to continue using the Gyphs version or if the ufo’s should be reloaded.

If I choose reload then Glyphs will display the font window a bit buggy after, see screenshot.
The type on top of the window which says Predefined Sorting looks ragged and there’s the Letter Latin divider suddenly floating on on top of the glyph overview.

Do you know if there’s also other issues with saving ufo’s in Prepolator (or another external ufo editor) and reloading them in Glyphs again?

Thanks,
Artur

That happens from time to time even if you don’t use any UFO workflow (.glyphs file only). I tried to figure out the causes, but couldn’t yet.

Thanks, I’ve never seen that before using this UFO > Glyphs workflow.

Artur

I’ll have a look. What are you doing in Prepolator that you can’t do in Glyphs directly (if you would build a multiple master .glyphs file)? There is a lot information lost if you save as .ufo.

Agreed. Prepolator is one app you will not ever need again after having Glyphs.

Hi Georg,

Perhaps it is matter of habit, but I do think that Prepolator shows the relationships between the contours and nodes of the glyphs much clearer. It also gives me better feedback on what the problem is. And it has handy keyboard shortcuts to toggle between nodes to set the first node.

I’d prefer to do this all in Glyphs, but for me Prepolator is a better tool to prepare outlines.

What kind of information? If I set up my masters in Glyphs, but I want to do interpolation outside of Glyphs with Superpolator, and import interpolated ufo’s again into the Glyphs file what are the risks of that?

I’m still looking for the best workflow between these tools.

1 Like

Glyphs 2.5 will and the current 2.5b support opening .designspace files. That’s my current solution, setup your interpolation space in Superpolator and then use the power of Glyphs to do the rest of the process. My $0.02

1 Like

What I see in the image is probably very quickly solved with Paths > Correct Path Direction for All Masters (Cmd-Opt-Shift-R); you can do this for all glyphs at once. Then step through the remaining incompatible ones (select in Font View, shift-:arrow_upper_left:︎:arrow_lower_right:︎ or fn-Shift-arrows), and have a look with View > Show Master Compatibility (Cmd-Opt-Ctrl-N).

This is explained in the tutorial. In short, many advanced features of Glyphs cannot be stored in a UFO.

1 Like