Problem with font validation on Mac - any ideas?

Hello!

I created font using Glyphs Mini, did everything according to manual, saved font and installed it on Mac. It’s working, but during installation process mac told me, that «problems may have been found during validation» and showed red cross near «system validation». What could I possibly did wrong, do you have any ideas? Also any ideas on how to fix font would be much appreciated. Thanks!

This is very difficult to debug without the font. Could you send us the .glyphs file.

Yes, here it is (can’t upload it via interface as it doesn’t support that kind of file) - deleted -
Thanks!

I’m sorry if you didn’t mean to publicly share the file, but I looked at it, and I guess it may be because of the number of nodes. If that’s the case, you may want to simplify some glyphs by reducing auto-tracing accuracy or drawing a new letter with a bit less texture. I report top glyphs with most number of nodes that’s more than 2000 (not that 2000 means anything special, it’s a random number I chose).

AE 2408
C 3603
Ccedilla 3782
M 5056
N 3108
Ntilde 3357
O 3441
Oacute 3495
Ocircumflex 3591
Odieresis 3609
Ograve 3483
Oslash 3495
Otilde 3690
OE 3882
Q 2742
Ucircumflex 2060
Udieresis 2060

Also OE, ae, and oe have components, which will increase the number of nodes even more. If it was not intentional, you may want to delete components.

Not related to font validation, but I see that AE seems to have too little right sidebearing value.

Hi @FaveteArt

As @Tosche have said, my apology to take your file if it wasn’t mean to bee take for me.

I just make a test of the generate OTF running the Apple tool to validate fonts in the system

I run ftxvalidator that is the command line in which is base the Font validation process of Font Book and I found the following minor problems:

‘name’ table structure
  This test ensures the ‘name’ table is structurally sound.
  Minor 
    'name': Two name entries overlap:  name entry 7 (bytes 222-236) and name entry 0 (bytes 222-236)
      kATSFontTestSeverityMinorError
    'name': Two name entries overlap:  name entry 4 (bytes 236-242) and name entry 1 (bytes 236-242)
    'name': Two name entries overlap:  name entry 9 (bytes 364-392) and name entry 16 (bytes 364-392)
    'name': Two name entries overlap:  name entry 10 (bytes 392-404) and name entry 13 (bytes 392-404)

Also those problems in the name table are warns by makeotf as follow:

makeotfexe [WARNING] --- Source font: font.pfa
makeotfexe [WARNING] moveto sequence (collapsed) <U>
makeotfexe [WARNING] moveto sequence (collapsed) <Uacute>
makeotfexe [WARNING] moveto sequence (collapsed) <Ucircumflex>
makeotfexe [WARNING] moveto sequence (collapsed) <Udieresis>
makeotfexe [WARNING] moveto sequence (collapsed) <Ugrave>
makeotfexe [WARNING] moveto sequence (collapsed) <ae>
makeotfexe [WARNING] moveto sequence (collapsed) <e>
makeotfexe [WARNING] moveto sequence (collapsed) <eacute>
makeotfexe [WARNING] moveto sequence (collapsed) <ecircumflex>
makeotfexe [WARNING] moveto sequence (collapsed) <edieresis>
makeotfexe [WARNING] moveto sequence (collapsed) <egrave>
makeotfexe [WARNING] moveto sequence (collapsed) <oe>
makeotfexe [WARNING] subr stack depth exceeded (reduced)
makeotfexe [WARNING] <Bronks-Regular> name id not in registered range; ignoring record [features.fea 26]
makeotfexe [WARNING] <Bronks-Regular> name id not in registered range; ignoring record [features.fea 27]
makeotfexe [WARNING] <Bronks-Regular> name id not in registered range; ignoring record [features.fea 28]
makeotfexe [WARNING] <Bronks-Regular> name id not in registered range; ignoring record [features.fea 29]

Your current name table in the feature.fa is:

table name {
  nameid 0 1 "Olga Zakharova"; # Should be copyright
  nameid 0 3 1 1033 "Olga Zakharova";
  nameid 1 1 "Bronks";
  nameid 1 3 1 1033 "Bronks";
  nameid 2 1 "Regular";
  nameid 2 3 1 1033 "Regular";
  nameid 9 1 "Olga Zakharova";
  nameid 9 3 1 1033 "Olga Zakharova";
  nameid 12 1 "zakharovaolga.ru"; # Should be complete URL (http://…)
  nameid 12 3 1 1033 "zakharovaolga.ru"; # Should be complete URL (http://…)

But don’t be worried because those problems do not stop Font Book to validate your font.

I was unable to generate a TTF from Glyphs, because it was crashing every time I try to generate the TTF.

Hi Tosche!

I understood that I was uploading file for everyone to see, just didn’t think that anyone would be interested in ipening it and trying to find the reason of my problem. So thanks for taking time to do it! :slight_smile:

And thanks for idea, didn’t think about complexity, but now I understand that you might be right. I’ll try to simplify letters, and we’ll see what happens.

Hi @Nicolas!

Thanks for taking time and helping me with this issue, it’s very nice of you.

Can you please explain what does minor problems that you found mean? Is it the same as Tosche suggested - some of the letters have too many nodes?

I feel a bit stupid right now as I can’t really read and understand all tables that you’ve given, and I thought I knew Glyphs Mini… Still have so many things to learn, wow!

It’s interesting that your Font Book is validating it, because when I’m trying to do it I get red cross near «system validation»…

Most of the issues reported by the tool seem to be problems I have to fix. And I check the TrueType export crash. Thanks for providing the file.

Guys, thanks for your help, I followed your advice and simplified paths, now it’s working file, no validation errors.

I tried your file. The problem is the autohinting that produces to much data with outlines like this. Just disable the autohint checkbox in the export settings.

For testing the font during development is not a good idea to install the font in the system. That leads to font cache corruption. Please read the tutorial.

I forget to mention that I just disabled the Autohinting checkbox during the exporting process. By the nature of the paths I thought that autohinting wasn’t necessary, also it could be a good idea to disable subrutination too, in order to avoid makeotfexe [WARNING] subr stack depth exceeded (reduced).

Thanks so much for your help! And also for link to the testing fonts tutorial.