Problems getting monoline to export


#1

I’ve been trying to follow the monoline tutorial, but my exports result in a blank font with no glyphs. I’ve tried offset curve. I’ve tried noodler. I’ve unchecked “remove overlap” on export. I’m pasting from the gear icon to the instance. Nothing I’ve tried exports a font with glyphs in it. I’m not sure what I’m doing wrong. Has anyone else run into this? I’m using Version 2.5.1 (1141)


#2

Can you send me the .glyphs file?


#3

Are you using the Adobe Fonts folder?
http://www.glyphsapp.com/tutorials/testing-your-fonts-in-adobe-apps


#4

I figured it out after I went to bed. I remembered that the instructions mentioned making a new instance and naming it something creative. I was overlooking that part. This morning I tried adding an instance with a different name, and it worked. I’m not sure why it doesn’t work with the first instance. Oddly, once I added a new instance, Glyphs started exporting 2 files with visible glyphs. The fonts were identical because the same noodler snippet was pasted into each one.

There must be some caching going on because I have to quit Glyphs and restart in order to export a font that reflects recent changes. I tried multiple times to get the font to update, and only quitting and restarting gives me an updated font.


#5

Again: How do you test your font? How do you see if there are visible outlines or not? In which app are you testing the font?


#6

I have been exporting to my Desktop. The .otf icon was missing the capital A. I previewed by selecting the font icon and pressing the spacebar. The whole popup window was solid white. I pulled the font into TransType and it saw no glyphs.

When I added the 2nd instance, the export started working. I could see a normal A on the file icon, and preview showed an alphabet. At that point I used FontBook to install the font and Illustrator was able to work with it.

For the issue with the fonts not updating I’ve been judging by the alphabet in the icon preview.

I’ll add that I’m very new to Glyphs. I’m sure my workflow is very inefficient. The sun is going down on FontLab Studio 5 as Apple phases out 32-bit apps, and though I have FL6 there seems more vitality in the Glyphs app and community. I decided to try Glyphs, so it will take me some time to get used to how everything works. Thanks for taking the time to troubleshoot my issues.


#7

This is unreliable. The preview is generated once and not necessarily updated when the file is overwritten.

Do not install in Font Book or you will run into font cache problems. Read this please:
http://www.glyphsapp.com/tutorials/eliminating-font-cache-problems

If you are using AI, consider using the Adobe Fonts folder:
http://www.glyphsapp.com/tutorials/testing-your-fonts-in-adobe-apps


#8

I will do as you say. To be clear, the issue I see is with the font preview using spacebar on the desktop. When I drag the same file to TransType to open it, I see the expected changes. The cache is with Mac’s font preview. The font appears to have the correct content.