Production Name Trouble Prevents Export

Hi all! This is my first post, and I can’t tell if I’m doing something wrong, or if it’s a bug. I’m making a font with nearly 500 ligatures so far, but every time I try to export it, I get this message.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Tré

The glyphs probably have custom production names. Select these glyphs, and choose Edit > Info for Selection. In the dialog that appears, disable the production name.

Thanks! I gave that a try, and it appears the production name is turned off. But the only thing that seems to help is manually filling in a new production name. Any thoughts?

Which version of the app are you using?

Consider updating to the latest beta. Go to Glyphs > Preferences > Updates, activate both checkboxes and press the Update button.

The names could be improved to be work better automatically. The default handling is to have the full base glyph name before the first period. the period means that everything after it will is just stylistic suffix.

So C.ss01_E is a C with a .ss01_E suffix. It would be better written as C_E.ss01. The problem is that then it is not clear to what base glyph the .ss01 belongs. One way to fix that is to write all suffixes and connect them with a _: C_E.ss01_.

1 Like

Or, seeing the ligatures in the screenshot, consider overlapping contextual alternates rather than actual ligatures. For instance, the G is the same in GD, GE, GH, GJ, GK, etc. If you create it so that it overlaps into the following glyph, you could save a ton of ligatures. Plus, adding diacritics to it would be much easier, and not multiplying the number of ligatures.

Hello. I am working on a quite complex script and having the same export problem after 2.6.0 update (probably).

My glyph names are for example:
e.medi.c_e, e.medi.c_e.b, e.medi.c_e.n etc.

But renaming all (around 1000 glyphs) or manually fill in production names will be crazy.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

Jan

If your glyph names do not exceed 31 characters, then generate fonts with the “Don’t use production names” parameter. This whole uniXXX_XXXX.XXX production names scheme is a solution for something that is not a real world problem and definitely not a problem that the kind of font you are designing is likely to have to solve.

3 Likes

Great. That works for me!

That worked perfectly! Thank you so much!