PUA for OpenType features

I’ve seen a lot of script fonts that have PUA encoded glyphs in order to make OpenType features accessible via Character Map on Windows or Font Book on Mac for those who don’t have access to software that supports OpenType features.

But I’ve found out that it is not actually recommended to encode stylistic variations, ligatures and other OpenType feature glyphs. A bit confusing :slight_smile: So is there a way to make OpenType features accessible via Character Map/Font Book or is it something that many font makers are doing wrong?

Depending on the font and the alternatives, I sometimes recommend a separate font.

1 Like

I would like to have just one font because of the kerning that is set between uppercase and lowercase glyphs and I basically have alternative uppercase and lowercase glyphs, initials forms, end forms (with shorter tails) and double letter ligatures - is it possible to access those outside software that support OpenType features?

In case you’re wondering, Word supports stylistic sets and contextual alternates. Excel and PowerPoint do not support OT Features. Yet.

But I still do not recommend the Unicode hack because it breaks searching and replacing, copying and pasting, changing fonts, it only works with one particular font, and will likely break other application functions.

Edit: if you want to go ahead with the PUA hack: There is a script in my repo that lets you assign (PUA) unicode values, I think it’s in the Glyph Names submenu.

1 Like

Thank you, Rainer! I think I won’t do it then :slight_smile:
P.S. I’m impressed with your work on github!

1 Like