Reinterpolation overwrites master?\

I have three masters

FAT
Regular
SKINNY

When I make changes to FAT, then instances between FAT and Regular change, but Regular is unaffected.
When I make changes to SKINNY, then instances between SKINNY and Regular change, but Regular is unaffected.
When I make changes to Regular, then all instances between SKINNY and Regular, and Regular and FAT change.

BUT if I hit Reinterpolate, both SKINNY and FAT remain the same, but the Regular master is overwritten as if it were an Instance.

Surely, the Regular, as a master, shouldn’t change.

What have I misunderstood, here, please?

Thanks

The reinterpolate command is intended to do exactly what you see. What did you expect?

I expected the Masters to stay as they were --otherwise what’s the point of having a master?
And the instances between them to reinterpolate.

The instances interpolate automatically. You don’t need to do anything there. The Reinterpolate command is useful if you like to have some of your masters match the interpolation.

So you shouldn’t use the command.

Thanks. Perhaps you could clarify this when you update the manual. Bestest.

Can you point out the place in the handbook what is misleading?

The word “reinterpolation”.

This is the handbook I’ve been using.

The text search shows no examples of the word “reinterpolation”

If you search for "Re-Interpolate" (note the hyphen, matching the menu name), the proper page should appear. The mention of that menu item is in section 4.4.1 Working with Layers (page 52 of the Glyphs 2.3 Handbook). fyi.

2 Likes

Thanks!

However the explanation isn’t very helpful.

“The Re-Interpolate menu item resets a selected layer on the
basis of at least two other available master layers in the glyph”

It needs a bit more explanation

Hard to describe interpolation in plain English terms. The layer will be reset and re-interpolated from the two nearest masters.

I’m open for reformulation suggestions.

Let me think about it, and I"ll see what I can come up.

composerjk makes an interesting point: so perhaps you could add this entry to the manual index: “Reinterpolation – see Re-Interpolation”