Rename glyph parameter working differently?

since when does the rename glyph parameter automatically affect component glyphs?

I use the parameter quite a lot and used to make extensive sets (inkl. accent glyphs) to swap at export…

I’m just found our about this and working on fixing this. Could you send me a sample file with an explanation what you expect to happen?

quite often I have to swap ssXX and standard. I then usually make a rename glyph parameter containing all the affected glyphs.

for example a rename parameter for Y and y used to look like this:

Y.ss01=Y
Yacute.ss01=Yacute
Ycircumflex.ss01=Ycircumflex
Ydieresis.ss01=Ydieresis
Ygrave.ss01=Ygrave
y.ss01=y
yacute.ss01=yacute
ycircumflex.ss01=ycircumflex
ydieresis.ss01=ydieresis
ygrave.ss01=ygrave

but now, I only do this:

Y.ss01=Y
y.ss01=y

I think it has been like this for a while.

I improved it and now it should work both ways. Please try this version: https://updates.glyphsapp.com/Glyphs2.4.2-999.zip

1 Like

Thx!

Does it work for you now?

Seems to be working, yes!

@GeorgSeifert I found a small bug.
The substitutions look nice, but turned components got shifted some units downwards.

Didn’t notice anything like that…

the rotated components are now normal lowercase and not small caps any more and thous are aligned on the x-height. I’ll fix it.

I just uploaded a new version that should fix this.

1 Like

Hello, I encouter a similar problem in Glyphs3, latest version. When using the Remane Glyphs Parameter at export, it works fine except for some diacritic letters (but not all) which are wrongly displayed.

Can you send me a sample file?

I believe @Jerome’s turned out to be a different issue. It is solved.

Verification of glyph names (like in the features) could have helped in his case.

I’m trying the same what @Avenir describe above (swap standard glyphs with stylistic sets ). It works perfectly if I want to swap all a’s for example. I just enter a=a.ss01 in the custom parameter and that’s it. Brilliant!
I’m now trying to do the same with the lowercase g. But here I’m using a g.topAccent for the accented g’s. If I now enter g=g.ss02 in the rename parameter, the normal g is swapped as supposed, but the g’s with accents are ignored. I guess this is because of the g.topAccent.
Can you think of a workaround for this?

Thanks! :slight_smile:

Try an additional g.ss02.topAccent

Thanks for your quick reply @mekkablue!
Yes, it does work now. The only drawback is that it only works if your standard g doesn’t have any components, for example the g.topAccent component.
For anyone who is trying the same: Don’t try to be so clever to draw an earless .topAccents double storey g and use it for the standard double-storey g and its accented counterparts. The standard double storey g needs to be component-free. :wink: So you end up having two double storey g’s. Which is pretty much what the tutorial for Advanced Diacritics: Adapted Base Letters | Glyphs explains

Yes. It becomes a bit more complex once you nest components :innocent: thanks for your feedback.

Can you send me a sample file with the nested g component?