Replace feature —> change name of SS

Hello, hello!

I’m using the “replace feature” custom parameter for certain instances to have different stylistic sets.
Is it possible to change the name of the stylistic sets as well?
Now these changed features keep having the old names.

Any help is appreciated!
Thanks!

Still nothing?

Maybe a “No! Not possible!”.
Or a “Yes, kinda. But you have to write it yourself”.

None help whatsoever?

Sorry. I missed your first post.

That is not possible right now.

In the meantime, it should be possible to work with something a bit less flexible.
Following the spec you could add the name at the top of your feature, like this:

featureNames {
name "Extra Boring Sub";
};

sub B by B.ss03;

And then do the same thing within the Replace Feature custom parameter.

Sidenote: I am a bit confused about the usage of parantesis etc. in there. The syntax is not 100% the same as in the feature window. But why? Also look out for autocorrected quotation marks.

Remember that this workaround might cause problems if you have a name defined at the bottom of the feature window. So make sure to delete the info there before you try this.

2 Likes

Hi all,
I’ve just tried doing this three years later and it’s not working for me.
My custom parameter Replace Feature looks like this:

ss01;
featureNames {
name "Renamed ss01 feature";
};
sub a by a.ss01;
[...]

But when I try to export the font, I get an error in ames. Without the featureNames{[...]} section it works.
Any idea what’s going on? I’m using the latest Glyphs 2 for this project.

This works for me.

What exact error do you get?

Can you send me the file?

Hi Georg,
The error I am getting is:

MakeOTF error
Error: “invalid token (text was “â”)” in Feature ames in line: 1

I’ve sent you the file to your support email. I’m using the latest Glyphs 2.
Thanks in advance!

Best,
Tamir

You have curly quotes in the replace feature parameter:
Screenshot

The third line needs to be:

name "Double-storey a";

Thanks, I oversaw that! I wonder how that happened, though.

Have you written the text somewhere else? Sometimes the automatic quotes are added by macOS.

Hi Georg, I’m trying to use the Replace Feature custom parameter in Glyphs 3 now, and it’s not working at all.

The idea is to rename ss11 to ss01 for a particular instance (as ss01-ss10 as well as salt are not applicable anymore). So the custom parameters look like this:

and the feature (vastly simplified to reduce possibility of errors) looks like this:

But the feature is missing in the exported file. Unlike Glyphs 2, Glyphs 3 doesn’t show any errors, it just fails to write out the feature. Is there a way to troubleshoot this?

And yes, I have checked that i.ss11 is present in the exported OTF. And ss01 doesn’t get removed, only replaced:

Can you help me here?

Have you written the text somewhere else? Sometimes the automatic quotes are added by macOS.

Because you asked, the typographical quotes were actually added automatically by Glyphs 2 when editing the code in the window; in order to get straight quotes you have to paste them in. Glyphs 3 thankfully doesn’t do this anymore.

Can you send me the file?

Thanks, I’ve sent it now.

The “Replace Feature” parameter is there to replace an existing feature. And it looks like there is an ss01 feature in your file. But as you remove all ss01 glyphs, the feature will be removed, too. You could use use an “Add Feature” parameter. But that is broken (fixed in 3.2).

So you need to rename those .ss11 to .ss01 glyphs to get the automatic feature that you then can replace.

Thanks for looking into this, Georg. But I’m not sure if your reasoning is correct. As you can see in the file I sent you, the “Remove feature” parameter is used to remove the other stylistic sets; ss02-ss11. If this parameter is disabled, the export fails as these features are still there, but the glyphs are not and this brings up an error. So why don’t these features get removed too?

If the only solution is to use “Add feature” parameter, when is the fix due? Thanks!

Since you are a beta tester, you can try 3.2 (search for Alpha Test in the forum).

1 Like

Is the “Add Feature” parameter still broken in latest Cutting Edge (3149)?

Will be in 3.2