Report highest/lowest glyphs script not working

I find “Report lowest/highest glyphs” useful scripts when setting vertical metrics in a font, but did never get to make them work, and ended up checking the whole font in search of the highest/lowest points . Anyone experienced the same problem?

Vanilla installed. Glyphs 2.3.1 (900) on OS X 10.9.5

It is usually better to report these kinds of things directly on GitHub (‘issues’).

I suppose you refer to the scripts in my Glyphs Scripts repository? They do work for me. Did you make sure you have the latest version of the scripts? As an alternative, try schriftgestalt’s Find Extreme Nodes script (in the Helper subfolder).

Thanks for yor replay. I’ll report this kind of problems on GitHub from now on.
Answering your question, yes, I updated the scripts yesterday. Besides, I do not see what Find extreme nodes does. It may not be working for me either… I am looking for a script that goes through all the glyphs in the font and finds tho one containing the highest node. Is that how it works?

I’ve just found out that the Macro panel is not working for me. I tried copying/pasting the scripts in it and nothing happened after running them. Then I tried a simple print "Hello World!" and it did not work either. I think this is a whole different issue… Any suggestions?

Try these things:

1. update Glyphs to the latest cutting edge
  2. make sure Preferences > User Settings > Use console for script output is OFF
  3. reinstall modules through the button in the Preferences
  4. restart your Mac

Everything (scripts and Macro panel) working fine now :smiley:
Thank you!

Hi Juan! I have a similar script for fill the vertical metrics parameters in my github repo. Maybe is useful for you.

Let me know if is useful for you and how to improve it.
Best regards.

1 Like

Hi Guido!

I find your script very useful. I am not a programmer, so I cannot help in that sense. I saw you get the values applying certain formulas and I was wondering what you took as the basis for them. As far as I know, there are different approaches to this question. Adobe, Microsoft or Google Fonts recommend different values (see https://www.glyphsapp.com/tutorials/vertical-metrics) and it is not easy to know which one is the most convenient. I guess it depends on the kind of project involved. Thus, it would be great if the script allowed selecting among different options to calculate the values depending of what are the devices or software it is intended for.

Many thanks for sharing this :slight_smile:

That is the type of help I needed. It’s a good idea the selector of different options.
I read the post but I think I didn’t understand it well. Maybe I should make a new version of the script with a selector for the “Different Strategies”.

@mekkablue in the final font, all of this parameters should be set?
typoAscender, typoDescender, typoLineGap, winAscent, winDescent, hheaAscender, hheaDescender, hhealinegap

I don’t clearly understand what one should do to have a font that works well in win and Mac and have a decent look on non Adobe apps.

Definitly I need to read again the post :slight_smile:

Do you have any problems with the default line spacing? For most fonts, Glyphs can calculate the vertical metrics automatically.

Do you mean that Glyphs applies the “typoAscender, typoDescender, typoLineGap, winAscent, winDescent, hheaAscender, hheaDescender, hheaLineGap” values automatically if the user does not define them? That is interesting. Which strategy does it use? I tried the “web font strategy” and most of the diacritics on top of uppercase letters got clipped in Microsoft Word for Mac. I am still trying to find out which is the most convenient approach for my font.

I’m not sure what Glyphs strategie is called :wink:

You should properly set Ascender and Descender. Both together should be similar to the UPM. Then Glyphs will add 20% as default line hight. If your accents get clipped, maybe your drawings is to big one the Em?

Solved it. There was a mistaken value. Thanks :slight_smile: