Round Corners visual correction

Hi Glyphs team,

fist, let me say that I love this! It is really a great timesaver.
But - as you know - designers are never satisfied: Sometimes the rounds looks a little bit to edgy (for me) , and I would like a little more correction.
So, is it possible to add a parameter to this function. This would really extend the possibilities…

Or is this feature already scriptable?

Cheers,
Ralf

You can run the filter, and then your own script/plug-in that extends the BCPs a little.

use corner components and adjust as u need?

1 Like

I am not able to do this. This was meant as a feature request.

Did you try corner components as @dergraph suggested. Then you can have any rounding you like.

1 Like

Ah. Haven’t seen this yet. Corner components are pretty cool !! But - in my case - too much work.
I think many users (like me) would appreciate a “correction parameter” for the round corner filter :slight_smile:

can you send me a shape that has the default rounding and one that you have manually corrected that I can see what you mean?

why too much work?

If you want to give corner components another try:

What you may also consider: select one or more of your rounded corners and choose Paths > Other > Make Corner, or right click and choose Make Corner from the context menu.

Now you can right-click again and choose Add Corner from the context menu.

Hey mekkablue,
unfortunately, I don’t have a menu Path>Other>Make Corner, only Path>Other>Reconnect Nodes and Path>Other>Open Corners.

Ok. but it works for many corners just with the context menu.
Unfortunately, the selection will be lost after “Add Corner” and I have to select every corner again in the other masters. That brings me to another question: Is it possible in principle possible, to work on all masters simultaneously? ( here: Add corners to all masters at once.)

Many language systems or scripts, many replacement characters, many masters -> a lot of work

Make Corner was added in one of the recent betas. You can activate it with Glyphs > Preferences > Updates > Show Cutting Edge Versions.

unfortunately, I am not allowed to sen images.
But to explain it simple:

If I set the Radius to 30, the handle of the points will be set to 17,
If I use “Optical Correction”, the handle will be set to 19.

It would like to influence the length of the handle.

Example: If I set the Radius to 40 and the Handle length to 31, the roundness of the curve is like the first one, but the beginnings of the curve will be much smoother.

You set the corner components on one master, then run the script Propagate Corner Components to All Masters from my repository. You can add a shortcut for it in System Preferences to speed up the work.

You realize that the amount of optical correction depends on the angle of the corner, right? At radius 30, optically corrected handles are not necessarily always 19. Blunt angles are different from acute angles.

Ok, your hints make it a lot easier. Thanks.

Although, here is an image for George, which shows what the “Round Edges” filter does (left) and what I would like (right). In simple words: An adjustment slider for the visual correction would be wonderful.
Because this would make it much easier than corner components.

Thanks!

This has nothing to do with the visual correction, which only kicks in when the angle is not 90 degrees.

What you want is best done with Fit Curve.

Hm,
maybe a misunderstanding.
When I use the “Round Corner” Filter on this 90 curve, the result with correction is on the left, and without on the right side. Looks like a wanted visual correction to me. Only I would like it adjustable.
By the way, what is “Fit curve”. I can’t find this…

It’s in the Palette sidebar on the right, described in Section 4.3 Fit Curve of the Glyphs 2.3 Handbook at https://glyphsapp.com/get-started and in the Sketching tutorial (go to the Adjust Curvatures section).

Ahh, I see.
German Help, so search did not find…

But this is only for post processing. Corner by corner…

Sorry, yes, you’re right, there is a small correction at 90° as well. Do try it different angles though.

Or all of them at once. Any selected curve segment, actually. One of the handles suffices for a segment to be selected.