Samples print in grey

The problem is circumvented!

1 Like

I’m having this issue. Glyphs version 2.6.1 (1204), macOS 12.14.2, Samsung M2070W printer. I’m not sure if it started after I updated macOS to Mojave or to a newer version of Glyphs. The only way I can get solid black with my computer and printer is through InDesign printing as rich black, so I’m guessing it’s something to do with color modes as LucasFonts mentioned. Either when printing a single glyph or various glyphs (with spaces), with only “fill outlines” checked, portrait or landscape, it’s always printing a screened black. Exporting a PDF and printing with various settings in Adobe Acrobat does not work (it never does).

ETA: I was looking through other tools in Acrobat and I found something called “Preflight”. One of the actions in it is Digital Printing (B/W): “Optimizes the current PDF document for digital printing. Converts all colors – including spot colors – to grayscale.” When I use it to analyze a PDF straight from Glyphs, it doesn’t find any problems but the color space is “DeviceCMYK”. After I run this tool, the color space turns into “DeviceGray”, and then it prints perfectly for me. So in a way the problem is fixed, but this is a really cumbersome solution. For me the whole point of printing a proof from Glyphs is that it’s easy and fast, so if there is any way to get this to work in the app again I’d really appreciate it.

Can you send me the original and the “fixed” pdf? Then I’ll have a look.

yes: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/m4nfar8v4cezqx9/AADyGOSGB7-aE9W7j8n3Cppha?dl=0

I could replicate the issue. I need to research about the color handling in macOS.

Thanks for looking into it. It did use to work just fine for me so I think you pretty much nailed the problem in a previous comment:

I’m not sure why you decided to change to CMYK, but if it’s necessary to keep it maybe you could add an option for the user to choose between CMYK or RGB depending on what works best for them.

The move to CMYK did solve some other problem. But is created some new. So I revert it back and see what happens.

The latest update (1206) seems to have solved it for me! Thank you!