Scale glyph but not width of stems

Hi, I’ve searched for this but can’t find the answer. Is there a way to scale the overall glyph 75% but keep the stem width and height not scaled?
Thx A

Have you taken a look at the RMX tools by Tim Ahrens? They require two masters in your file. Basic principle (in far too few words): Use two different weights to interpolate only across either the x or y dimension axis to obtain a shape that, if then scaled proportionally, has the same x or y stem weights as the original shape.

I found this somewhere among my study notes from many semesters ago, when I first learned about this concept:

I doubt any of this is even remotely clear, so I would also suggest you have a look at the article Tim wrote, if you want to dive deeper into the mathematics.

@andypeat You can achieve this manually by applying the techniques described in pages 154-59 of Stephen Moye’s book Fontographer: Type by Design. An old book for sure but the techniques he described are just basic math, not font editor dependent, and can be adapted to your problem.

If you don’t have a way to access the book, there are several on eBay and also abe.com for less than USD$15.

I just found this, thank you. I’ll take a look.

Wow, ok I’ll see if I can get a copy. Thank you

FontLab has a tool for doing this if you’re in a hurry. Tools > Actions > Adjust > Change Width.

1 Like

Or learn to use nudging (Ctrl-Opt-moving selections adjacent to curve segments).