Something went wrong with the remove Overlap filter for Manrope

Though I’ve seen other posts on this topic, they seem to be old and don’t offer solutions that work for me. I am trying to re-export the web fonts from I get this error for “Something went wrong with the remove Overlap filter” multiple times.

I thought maybe it was the font, BUT…

I tried creating a glyphs file from scratch and just drew two rectangles that overlapped for the letter A. Both the Filter->Remove Overlaps and exporting the web fonts resulted in that same error.

I have the latest version 2.6.1 (1230)

Is there some setting somewhere that could’ve caused this issue?

Try the latest beta please. Go to Glyphs > Preferences > Updates, activate both checkboxes and press the Update button.

Beta worked. Thanks @mekkablue

1 Like

I’m having a similar issue on the latest beta (1250). I have narrowed it down to overlaps that contain offcurve points that form a straight line, as shown in the videos below.

The thing is that the Remove Overlap option in the export dialog also fails, but it fails silently. It even shows me the notification that my fonts were exported successfully. On closer inspection, one of my instances was never exported.

Thanks for finding this.

I fixed it. Try version 1252.


Seems to be working on 1252. Thanks :+1:

1 Like


I have version 1.4.5 (614) - Yes, I know… but it’s been working flawlessly until now I started getting this same ‘Something went wrong with the remove Overlap filter’ message, and I can not generate any font (whether an old file, or one made from scratch). I tried the update option in the app’s preferences, but that didn’t do it.

I’m using Mac OS Catalina.

Thanks for any advise!

I can only guess it has something to do with makeotf being incompatible with Catalina. The overlap removal at export is based on the 32-bit makeotf. This is fixed in Glyphs 2.6. I advice you upgrade to the latest version.

If you want to keep working with Glyphs 1, you will have to downgrade your macOS.

Thanks for your answer, Erich!