STAT Table in OTFs

Hi Georg,

I was using Version 2.4.2 (1005). It seems to now put in a STAT table in OTFs. I believe this is for Variable fonts, so I’m wondering why it appears in an OTF? It also appears to put another Windows name table entry - ID 256 Regular, Bold Black etc. Is that name ID something for Variable fonts?

Regards,

Alistair

Yes and no. You can read the STAT table spec. It has been introduced in the latest OT revision, and is required for variable fonts, but:

The style attributes table is also recommended for all new, non-variable fonts, especially if fonts have style attributes in axes other than weight, width, or slope.

Thanks for the info.

Hi Eric,

I think the values exported for STAT for static otf’s are mixed up and flipped. Can you have a look at this?

Shouldn’t the 400 be the value in the wght and 1 the value in the ital? (this is a regular italic style)

@kosbarts which version of Glyphs have you been using for this?

2.6.1 (1230)

Try the latest beta please. Go to Glyphs > Preferences > Updates, activate both checkboxes and press the Update button.

2.6.2 (1245) and the issue still exists.

2.6.2 (1264) the issue still persists.

In which order do you have the axes in Glyphs?

The example in the picture above has only weight. The italic is exported by default, correct? Then you get the values in reverse.

Thanks for the reminder. I fixed the order.

1 Like