Just to let you know, I’m experimenting changing that kern number. None of the changes show up in Glyphs app. Even when I click ‘compile’, and ‘update’, and even after exporting. It just doesn’t apply any kern. However, when I export it, the changes do take place in Pages. None of the changes in kern from that script are taking place in TextEdit, I now realise. It was never doing anything. Am I doing something wrong? Or is this normal, to not be able to see the changes from within Glyphs?
I have an idea what it might be perhaps? I think I kerned it so hard that I was asking the 3rd letter to start further left than the 2nd glyph’s left boundary (although not the actual image of the glyph, which is far left of that, perfectly positioned).
So, I have decided to try to change the right boundary of the 2nd glyph, moving it right by 100 (i.e. removing the -100 I had on its right boundary, by setting it to 0). And then make the position correct again using kerning. Hopefully this will solved this issue.
So I wanted to keep the individual kerns this glyph has, and then add -100 kern to it with regard to all glyphs. This should in theory make the actual positioning all the same as I previously had it.
I thought the easiest way to do this would be via the kern part in features.
So, in classes, I went to +, then created the group All, which filled itself automatically. And I made this script in the kern feature:
pos r_e.liga’ -100 @All;
But in the preview window in Glyphs, it’s not kerning at all! I even put it up to -700, clicked compile and update, but no change. I see the changes in Pages though, so, I will try the triplet in accordance with this new change and see if it fixes it…