Tabular figures // period, comma,

Hi,

I got tabular figures (oldstyle + lining) and was wondering what’s the best way to implement punctuation or mathematical symbols to fit the tabular width of the figures.

This matters when working with different cuts (bold / regular) in the same column.

I added a period.tf and a comma.tf, but Glyphs does not automatically add these to the tnum sub feature – do I have to add them manually or is there another way around?

Thanks

Hmm. I thought this had worked already.

Meanwhile, you could also do a calt feature:
sub @tabFigure @regPunct’ by @tabPunct;

I ll have a look. The problem is that the number feature depend on your default figures.
I added some code to add all .tf glyphs to the tnum feature.

Thanks fort he replies

The calt feature works for now.

cheers

The calt feature is not the right place for this. Just uncheck the ‘Automatic’ checkbox and add it to the tnum feature.

So, you mean creating “tabular” punctuation that is not actually the same width as the figures but the same width across the styles? Interesting approach.

Sometimes (often?) such punctuation has half the advance width of the tabular figures.

1 Like

Is there a good tutorial how to create the tabular figures ? Do I need to set the width for every number ? Not sure what’s the process of creating this

P.S. I’ve seen the tutorial on the tutorial section but it’s not enough for me.

Thanks.

Yes, and also for ostf if you happen to have those as well. Just look at a few sample fonts that have tf implemented and you will get the hang of it.

Hmmm… seems pretty hard to match the width for every glyph … when I change the width the sidebearings changing too and the space between some numbers look inconsistent.

You may need to adapt the shapes too, then.

If you change the width, only the RSB is adjusted. You might need to move the outline to visually center them. First fix the zero (that both side bearings are equal), type 0102030… and adjust all the others to visually be centered.

1 Like

Great tip sir. It really helps.

Thank you.

I have some problems implementing the tabular versions of period, comma, colon and semicolon within my font.

adding .tf to them, results to have them also within the lining figures, also in the case feature.
.tab doesn’t work either.

Before starting to edit the feature code manually, is there anything that works effortless?

This depends on whether the figures default to old-style or lining. Could you post a list of the glyph names you use for your figures?

default (tabular) / .lf / .osf / .sc / .tf / .dnom / .numr /