The future of Glyphs :)

F.U the thread

I agree with @kosbarts … this has been an obstacle which many work around trying all sorts of solutions to free the component from a defined SB; (I had in many cases to mix between regular paths and components… a matter which @mekkablue hates :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:)
I believe in context with this thread, that the Future Versions of GlyphsApp should bear intrinsic differentiation between a defined glyph and a Composing Path which is like a separate Symbol accessible by a Library window, such as Adobe CC Apps where a user can drag a Symbol (path) and position it independently inside any glyph; So it is not affected by a side-bearing of a source Glyph.
Imagine a right-click command like the current “Component from Selection” which Creates a new Symbol from a selected path and put it into a Library. The difference between a Symbol and Component is that the first cannot be defined as a glyph! while a component is actually an Exported or Non-Exported glyph (Anyhow a glyph may contain a combination of Components with Composing Paths/Symbols). Editing a Nested Symbol in a certain Glyph is by double click, which makes a sort of “Temporary Isolation/floating path” until editing is confirmed.
One more issue that should be discussed whether “Symbols” are controlled with Anchors or not!!

1 Like